Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a Camaro , but still a Chevy!! I have a 94 Lumina with a 3.1 liter. This probelm started soon after a battery failure left the car dead on the road.( not sure if there is any coonection ) Anyway, cold starts are fine, but a re-start after the car has been thoroughly warmed up and had a chance to cool for a bit idle races up to about 2K and slowly drops down to normal. The car doesn't have any codes stored , in fact the only code I've seen in the 240K we've owned is was an EGR 32. I will say , within the last couple months my daughter has said the SES light has come on but goes off and it has been the EGR valve. Any thoughts woudl be appreciated, I'd hate to give in and put her in the shop ...again. I don't want to knee jerk and replace the EGR at $180 but if I knew without a doubt then i'd do it.

·
Super Moderator
32,347 Posts
You might remove and check the EGR valve by pouring gas in one port and look for it to not leak into the other port.

Plus the other stuff going along with it - check diaphram for no holes, frame of valve in good repair, not rusted.

Let's see if I remember, short ALDL pins A & B together, turn ign to on, ECM commands EGR solenoid to open allowing vacuum to open valve - get a long hose and check operation. Hoses/tubing in good shape?

O2 sensor ever been changed?

·
Registered
622 Posts
the problem is the Idle Air Control Valve has lost it's "memory" for the idle speed when the battery went bad. Sometimes they will correct themselves, but it can take a good deal of driving. otherwise it needs to be put on the computer and "relearned". Seen this many times when the battery is disconnected for any reason. This was a "normal" condition on those cars when the battery is disconnected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts