Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some help with picking out a water pump. I'm building a 600/600ish 496 stroker. I'm purchasing the last parts and I'm wondering if I need to buy an aftermarket water pump. The current engine is a big block that had not had overheating issues since installing an electric fan. Not opposed to spending the extra money if necessary but will use the new factory pump if it will work.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
If money is an issue, go for the Flow Kooler disc, to close off an open water pump impeller. You can get these from Summit or Jegs, about $6. This is the way water pumps, used to be made , with closed impellers.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I went with a Stewart also

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I see no reason at this stage to swap out the new oem pump for an aftermarket unit.
Down the road..if you feel you need a Stewart due to overheating issues..it is a quick easy swap.Chances are you will be just fine with your new rad and fan combo.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the options. Much appreciated. How are things George? This winter is killing me. Can't wait for the weather to break so I can see your Camaro.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Thanks for the options. Much appreciated. How are things George? This winter is killing me. Can't wait for the weather to break so I can see your Camaro.
Alls well Bro.The 68 is safe and sound in the garage.Got the majority of the bugs worked out just days prior to the Dream Cruise.Only had 50 miles on the build when we met at Peppys in Waterford on the eve.
I am excited about your build up.I think you are going to very suprised and happy with the upgrade.I look forward to cruising the avenue along side you.
I think our baby bigblocks will hold their own along side the two 502,s (Lucky and Smoke) that we hob knob with.:D

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Alls well Bro.The 68 is safe and sound in the garage.Got the majority of the bugs worked out just days prior to the Dream Cruise.Only had 50 miles on the build when we met at Peppys in Waterford on the eve.
I am excited about your build up.I think you are going to very suprised and happy with the upgrade.I look forward to cruising the avenue along side you.
I think our baby bigblocks will hold their own along side the two 502,s (Lucky and Smoke) that we hob knob with.:D

George, if you get pictures of all 4 of you together, my offer is still open to post those pictures for you.:yes::beers:.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
George, if you get pictures of all 4 of you together, my offer is still open to post those pictures for you.:yes::beers:.
sweet David L.
akropovics 496 69 camaro.Smokes 67 502 chevelle,Luckys 502 53 belair,my 461 68 camaro.(I have the small engine...hope I can keep up).
Detroit iron at its best.
Would make a good photo shot...I will get the guys together once Oakland county retires the plow trucks and mother nature washes away the salt.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
sweet David L.
akropovics 496 69 camaro.Smokes 67 502 chevelle,Luckys 502 53 belair,my 461 68 camaro.
Detroit iron at its best.
Would make a good photo shot...I will get the guys together once Oakland county retires the plow trucks and mother nature washes away the salt.:thumbsup:
Cool. You can PM me when you send the pics to my email, then I'll post them for you.

David F.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
weiand makes a nice hi flow water pump....i have one on my 461 bbc 10:1 hi horse strret engine...no issues..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts