Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had planned to just reassemble the 67 and drive it, but that won't be happening anytime soon....:sad: I found I had frost plug issues after the radiator install. I have since removed the trans to change the junk flex plate, so yesterday I just took the engine out too.... I removed the spark plugs and turned it over to blow out the excess oil from the "senility" episode and can see that # 6 cylinder has had water in it. I sealed the cooling system up on the engine stand and pressurized it and don't get anymore water coming out of the cylinder, so I don't think the block is cracked. I think the car sat out in wet weather and was allowed to get water in the carb. When I brought # 5 up on compression to blow out the oil, the exhaust valve is leaking....:sad: I know the engine was rebuilt some time in the past, but I'm now thinking it was a distant past and the engine is pretty well used up. I'm having a hard time wanting to even put it back in like this, just to yank it out again soon. I originaly figured 2 weeks and I'd have it together and moving under it's own power, just needing to put the interior together. It's looking more like 2 months now.....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Sorry Mitch. If I where there we'd get that sucker going over the weekend....:(

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I have been there on a 71 camaro I had years back ,step back regroup and take your time ,sorry to here it, will all work out ,Happy Motoring

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys......I did take a breather for lunch and went back out to the shop to weigh my options and discovered I probably have a bad head gasket on # 6. After sitting under pressure for 2 hours, it had 3 tablespoons of fresh, clean water in the cylinder...:( I'm not going to spend any money on a worn out smogger motor, so I threw everything back together and set the engine and trans back in the frame. I'll hook up enough of it to start it and be able to move it out of my shop for when I bring the Pete home from storage. That will need some maintenance to be ready for work, when it starts back up, soon, I hope...:yes: I need to see some income.....:D

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Don't worry Mitch, soon you'll be changing hood springs and replacing rear window and mouldings, just a hunch ;)

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't worry Mitch, soon you'll be changing hood springs and replacing rear window and mouldings, just a hunch ;)
Yup and the big order I placed with Classic Muscle last week came today too.......:yes: New sound deadener and carpet, rear package tray and a bunch of interior parts to make it a decent driver. Oh well, it'll look good sitting here......:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts