Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's out of a '74 Nova.
Going into my 68 after Eaton Posi/or/Truetrac, gears, and axles.

What should I be looking for -
anything I need to watch out for?
Any way to check it? - I'm only in need of the housing really.
It's complete Drum-Drum open 3.08

Thanks in advance!
Bryan

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Check for cracks in the spring perches and welds. Be sure that it is the 8.5 and not something else. Be sure that the axle tubes have not rotated in the center casting. Check for excess rust outside and inside. It will be hard to check the housing to see if it's straight without taking it apart.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Go here to make sure it's really a Nova rear. (check axle codes front of pass side tube) http://www.novaresource.org/axle.htm

I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago, and here are a couple of checks I found out:

Pinion nut is 1 1/4" - take a socket with you

Ring gear bolts take a 3/4" inch wrench, and are left hand thread. Look for an "L" on the ring gear bolt head.

Spring perches are 42 1/2" Center to Center (some places say 42 3/4") HA! like the one I just linked.

Drum to drum should be 60"

Don't necessarily go by the cover. The 8.5" came with a "smooth" cover - no pronounced ridges - but the old ridged 8.2 cover will bolt onto it.

Look for the 2 squared off lugs on the bottom of the cast iron housing. (See Photo)

PS - I'm having the axle tubes welded, straightened if neccesary, 30 spline Eaton Posi, Motive gears and Dutchman axles. Should be pretty solid, esp with the measly power I'm running through it.

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
A tip: see the two holes in the housing next to each carrier bearing cap? Those are lube channels for each carrier bearing.

Be sure to clean the channels out the sludge and whatever else is in the groove. An 8.2 cover is ideal because as Al says, the 8.2 cover has a ridge and the oil thrown off by the ring gear follows the ridge and lubes/cools the carrier bearings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it doesn't work out let me know. I have a 10 bolt in my 69 with 3:73, Eaton posi, chrome cover. Great shape, in a show car. Nothing wrong with the unit. Just want to upgrade to a 12 bolt Moser. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Go here to make sure it's really a Nova rear. (check axle codes front of pass side tube) http://www.novaresource.org/axle.htm

I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago, and here are a couple of checks I found out:

Pinion nut is 1 1/4" - take a socket with you

Ring gear bolts take a 3/4" inch wrench, and are left hand thread. Look for an "L" on the ring gear bolt head.

Spring perches are 42 1/2" Center to Center (some places say 42 3/4") HA! like the one I just linked.

Drum to drum should be 60"

Don't necessarily go by the cover. The 8.5" came with a "smooth" cover - no pronounced ridges - but the old ridged 8.2 cover will bolt onto it.

Look for the 2 squared off lugs on the bottom of the cast iron housing. (See Photo)

PS - I'm having the axle tubes welded, straightened if neccesary, 30 spline Eaton Posi, Motive gears and Dutchman axles. Should be pretty solid, esp with the measly power I'm running through it.

Interesting, the old 8.2 cover will bolt on? Pretty stealthy........
Al, it looks like you had that fine nice and clean rear sitting on the hood of the Camaro.....
RA

·
Registered
277 Posts
I used the 8.2 cover on the 8.5 I put in my son's 71 Nova. I prefer the channel for directing the gear lube toward the carrier bearings.

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
Once you remove the carrier, you'll feel the channels. Be careful, might draw a bloody finger back.
You'll be amazed at the sludge/crud in the channels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts