Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally the wife is letting me do it! I've hated the OutlawII's on my car since we bought it.

Looking at these:

Riddler 675's polished finish.

Front: 17x7, 4" back space, wrapped in 225/45-17 BF Goodrich G-Force rubber.

Rear: 17x8, 4.5" back space, 255/45/17 with the same rubber.

Going on this:

Anyone see anything I'm missing here? I measured it out and I believe the front tires/wheels will come in about 1/4" (which is needed!) and the rears will go out about 1/4" (which is fine by me). Front tread should be 9" wide, rear will be 10".

...and I know it's not necessary for the 6-banger. I'm setting the car up for a crate motor next year so little things like enough rubber, a better radiator, drop-in posi on the rear, and making sure the suspension bushings are up to par are being done this year.

·
19,835 Posts
She sounds like a keeper ;)

They're going to look good :yes: A lot like Cragers but only better.

·
Registered
328 Posts
BTW... Nice wheels...

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mikael. Those pics (especially the one showing the side of the car) makes me positive I'm making the right dimensional choices for this car. Mine is about 1.5" lower in the front and 1" lower in the rear so I'll probably tuck a bit more.

If anyone is interested the wheel/tire combo is here: http://www.performanceplustire.com/products/wheels/?searchType=searchByVehicle&year=1968&make=CHEVROLET&model=CAMARO&applicationID=9451&wheelSize=17&submit=Submit&mID[]=1&mID[]=193&mID[]=397&mID[]=316&mID[]=496&mID[]=132&mID[]=36&mID[]=112&mID[]=168&mID[]=251&mID[]=387&mID[]=154&mID[]=342&mID[]=33&mID[]=313&mID[]=379&mID[]=197&mID[]=354&mID[]=341&mID[]=270&mID[]=398&mID[]=309&mID[]=478&mID[]=400&mID[]=462&mID[]=12&mID[]=294&mID[]=271&mID[]=171&mID[]=471&show=21

Roughly $1150 shipped. I've been shopping for 14 months now (wife held me back...) and I haven't seen a better combo for the money.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I dont think the ride height is a problem. You should have space for the tires. I used to have Corvette Rally wheels:
15x8 front and rear w/4" BS. 225/60- in front and 245/60-15 in rear.
They did rub on the fender lips in front and rear...

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She sounds like a keeper ;)

They're going to look good :yes: A lot like Cragers but only better.
I noticed you're local to me. If you go to Nationals in Fredneck this year let me know. I'll buy you a beer for a ride in your car. I'd like to know what a fast camaro feels like... 155 hp mated to a 2 speed power glide isn't going to snap anyone's neck...

Actually let me know if you're going to be at any meets my way this year.

I saw these rims on another classic last fall in Westminster at a big show there and really liked them. At the time I thought they'd be really expensive but they're not.

Going with the polished finish rather than chrome because my wife doesn't want that much bling. I figure if I want to get fancy later I can get them powder coated or show chromed.

·
Registered
328 Posts
BTW,
I have drum brakes in front on the pics. Will convert to front discs which I guess will move the wheels out approx 5/8" if I am correct. Should be space for that as well (if I have measured it correctly).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Can I have a ride Doug's car as well?

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW,
I have drum brakes in front on the pics. Will convert to front discs which I guess will move the wheels out approx 5/8" if I am correct. Should be space for that as well (if I have measured it correctly).
Aaahhh... Thanks!

I did the power disc brake upgrade 1 week after I bought mine. Found a nice kit on ebay for $600 for a 72 Nova setup using drilled and slotted 12" rotors. It was a HUGE difference in stopping power. It'll stop like a modern car now. Worth every penny (especially hauling around a wife and 2 kids!).

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
328 Posts
You will love those wheels...

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You will love those wheels...
When you moved up how did it affect the handling and ride? Better? Less loose? More responsive?

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trigger pulled. I'll install and take lots of pictures when they come in. Looks like it'll be a really nice combo for the car.

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so it was all but impossible to get the ridlers. i instead went with something i like more...

the fronts haven't come in yet so this is just a preview for now.

AR105 Torque Thrust M Anthrocite.

Rears are 17x8's, 4.57 back space. Wrapped in 255/40-17 BF Goodrich G Force 2. about 10 inches of rubber tucked in nicely. about the perfect offset with maximum rubber. can't get much better in there while keeping a stock diameter.

that said i weighed it. i gained a few lbs in my butt... 50 lbs a side. old ones were roughly 37 lbs.

the fronts are 17x7's with 225/45-17's. back space is 4.02 inches. should also fit well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
When you moved up how did it affect the handling and ride? Better? Less loose? More responsive?
Did see this question now. I guess you mean my new wheels. The car is much more stable on the road. Most of all steering is not as nervous (sensitive) as before. Guess it's because of less offset. Think it as called scrub radius!?
But right now the subframe is getting new paint and I will take the time to tighten up the steering gear acc to Jim Shea's instructions to get rid off the play in the sterring wheel which I guess is the last piece to get it stable on the road.
BTW...Nice wheels. I think they look better than the Ridler's :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts