Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a set of 17" American Racing Torque Thrust 2's for sale. I was wondering if it is worth it or not... Here's the scoop:

Front:
17 x 7 with 4" backspacing
225/50/17 tires

Rear:
17 x 9.5 with 5.5" backspacing
275/60/17 tires

The rims were on a 72 Chevelle, and he sold the car without the rims. He says that the rims and tires only have 15 miles on them, and he can verify that. I know that the rear tires won't fit (or at least I don't think they will), but I'm pretty sure the front tires will fit.

With all of that being said, he told me that the lowest he'd go is $1,200.

Is this a good deal or no?

-James

·
Registered
656 Posts
The wheels are probably $1000-$1200 new. I don't know what tires are on them so I can't say what they are worth. If those are the wheels you really want and if they you like the tires it is probably a good deal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wheels are probably $1000-$1200 new. I don't know what tires are on them so I can't say what they are worth. If those are the wheels you really want and if they you like the tires it is probably a good deal.
Thanks for your reply. The tires are Goodyear Eagle RSAs so they are around $160 a piece brand new. If I bought the rims and attempted to sell the tires as a "like new", how much do you think I could get for them? $300?

I'm pretty confident that the rear tires would not work, and it would probably look stupid if they did work. I'd for sure want new tires on the rear, maybe not the front though...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Way too much sidewall on those rear tires for a 17" rim.

Like new tires, at best, look at half price of new. So $300 for all 4 is about right if someone needs that exact setup.
That's what I was thinking. I'm even tempted to sell all 4 tires as a set and buy 4 new tires instead...

I'm a little hesitant to put a 17 x 7" rim on the front, but from what I've read, it would look fine.

To add to the "drama", he just texted me bal and offered them all to me for $1,000! NOW IS IT A GOOD DEAL?

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
That's what I was thinking. I'm even tempted to sell all 4 tires as a set and buy 4 new tires instead...

I'm a little hesitant to put a 17 x 7" rim on the front, but from what I've read, it would look fine.

To add to the "drama", he just texted me bal and offered them all to me for $1,000! NOW IS IT A GOOD DEAL?
It's only a good deal if that's the style of wheel and tire size you want.

I run 18x8 up front and 18x9 in the rear with no mods. You need to make sure the BS is correct, but 17x7 should not be a problem.

If you can really get $300 for the tires, then $700 for the rims sounds ok. You can probably get a brand new set of those rims for around $700 give or take. Maybe even a little cheaper if you shop around.

Then you don't have to worry about paying for/removing the old tires and trying to sell them.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Buy the new wheels and forget the messing with dismounting and selling the tires. I would imagine not too many buyers for that combo of tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts