Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a good book on sbc engines can anyone recomend one? It needs to be on everything from timing to carbs.

Heres the problem, I lost my friend that was helping me on redoing my engine. I have a good bit of knowledge on cars but I have never got myself in this deep before. I put a new cam in and a intake and carb. If I run in to trouble I want something I can look at when I'm out at the car. I have rebuilt engines before but it was never on my own. So I'm gonna have alot of Questions for you all. Thanks in advance.

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM Package- TH350
<LI>2000 Gmc Sonoma - 5-speed 4.10 rear
[/list]

·
Super Moderator
33,175 Posts
As far as reference materials go, my suggestions are:
1. Haynes manual, can be bought at your local auto parts store, good info to familiarize yourself with what is in front of you.
2. Factory service manual, can be bought from Helm(s?) Publishers (or Books?). The sole source for GM service manuals
3. Mitchell Repair Manual, can be bought from Mitchell, on CD, costs $1600, or, go to a repair shop with Mitchell CD and ask for a printed copy from of the system your working, offer him some cash for printing, very informative.
4. Central Library, filled with all kinds of reference books, Chiltons, Mitchell's, etc.
5. If you can find one, A Motor's Manual. These were the bible in repairung autos and trucks. Whether or not one could archive a manual with your year, maybe, ebay, a good place. Books went in 7 or 9 year increments,

I lucked out, person here at work handed me a 68 Motor's Manual, said he didn't need it anymore. He's had it since he was in high school, 34 years ago.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hp books are awesome..
How to hotrod the small block chevy
how to rebuild a small block chevy
and they also publush carburetor brand specific books (holley, carter (same as edlelbrock more or less)

Check the library like the previous post suggested, or amazon etc...

John

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Tony,

One of the best engine rebuild books out for the SBC is from S-A Design, title: How to Build the Smallblock Chevrolet by Larry Atherton & Larry Schreib. You can get this book from just about any bookstore or from Summit Racing. It walks you through every step.
Another good one by David Vizard is How To Build Max Performance Chevy Small Blocks on a Budget from S-A Design.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much guys, I'll look into these books. If there are anymore let me know. Thanks again

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
HP books How to Hot Rod a Small Block Chevy is good. Also "John Lingenfelter on Modifying Small-Block Chevy Engines" is also very good.

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 11.98's at 111mph and never trailered.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Another all-time favorite is "How To Rebuild Your Small-Block Chevy" by David Vizard (HP Books) - an excellent basic reference.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 8 of 8 Posts