Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i think that i am going to take a chance and build an engine my self. i have a ruff idea of what i want my combo to be and i would like suggestions on how to change it or make it better. 350 bored .30 over, vortec heads, edelbrock performer intake, comp cam(not sure which one maybe 268h)holley 650(to small?)and headers. i will be using hyper pistons that will make my compression 9.5:1.(should i use forged)should i go with a bigger cam and performer RMP intake and little bigger carb? how big of a cam can i use with vortecs. thanks guys
Tom

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks like a good combo but I would go with the Performer RPM intake.If you can afford it, get the Vortecs cleaned up a bit. Gasket matched and smoothing the short side radius are two important areas. I've seen some really impressive flow numbers from cleaned up Vortecs. I think you'll need dished pistons to get 9.5 to 1 with the Vortec's small chamber. Maybe the other guys can help with that one.

------------------
74 Camaro
350,350 new paint
No money.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a few more questions for you guys. one is a 650 holley too small? i can get a 750 and have it rebuilt by someone i know(he has rebuilt 200 or so holley)also do i need forged pistons? also how much would it cost to to get the work done to the vortecs? would it be ok to get the connecting rods, push rods and crank reworked or should i buy all new?i have gotten a recommendation on a Xstreme energy 262H, is that a good choice? would i be able to build this engine for around $2000? would anyone have a ball park figure of what kind og hp and torque that this would make?
355 chevy
650 or 750 holley
performer rpm
vortecs
9:1- 9.5:1 compression
xtreme energy 262H
headers

·
Registered
217 Posts
You definitely do not need forged pistons, not for that motor. Unless you have a huge cam, huge compression and severe rpms, save your money. Get a set of hyperutectic pistons like Keith Black, speed pro, etc. There are several good brands that are reasonably priced. As for the Carb, a 650 will definitely be large enough for your application. It will easily feed your combination of cam/intake/heads, and you'll get much better throttle response than with a 750. You need a pretty wild 350 to use 750 cfm. $2k sounds a little cheap, I think closer to $3000 if you through in all the small parts and the machine work to clean things up. Unless you really want to spend money, you may decide to forgo the porting job on the heads. Yes, it will help, but the money you would spend on a clean up job would start to put you in the range of pricier heads. Unless you know a shop that will do it cheap, save the money. They're pretty good heads to begin with. In the case of your motor, which sounds like a good solid street engine, you wouldn't likely see much difference in a port match job.

Many of the new stock replacement rods are re-worked rods, and chances are that some light machine work will make them like new. Factory rods will hold up fine on the engine you are talking about. Same thing with the crank. Go for new pushrods though, they're cheap and it's good insurance. You want them to seat properly in the new lifters. The extreme energy cam you are talking about is a reasonable choice, it to would be a good street cam that creates lots of vacuum. If you start going much bigger on the cam you start trading street manners for high rpm power, I think the 262 or maybe one notch higher is all the larger you'd want to go on this motor, especially if it's for the street. Make no mistake, it will still be a very strong motor, it's just going to keep the torque curve nice and fat down in the RPM range you want it.

Good luck

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 10-23-2000).]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, I'll give you 2 cents worth.650 will be just fine.Forged not necessary.My local machine shop will do a street port for $300cdn.Rods and crank reworked.New pushrods.Cam is great street cam.$2000 should not be a problem.300hp and 380ft/lbs.Good street engine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
300 hp and 380hp? man i thought that it would be more than that, but i guess i was wrong. i was hoping for 350hp, but i guess that i will not be able to afford that. thanks guys

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Tom,

What the guys are saying is that a 350hp engine is just a little high strung for your average grocery getter that we thought you wanted. My original '67 295hp/350 with the 350hp/327 cam was a great street engine. The 218 degree at .050" intakes are great cams for everyday street engines.

You can afford 350 hp BUT you probably will be much happier with a 262 cam for a driver. Been there, done that. pdq67

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i do want something that i can drive on the street, but i won't be driving it all year round. i'll will probably be driving it only during the nicer months here in chicago(very few of them)i have a 89 cavelier that i will drive in the winter and on long trips. but i guess i might just wait a year or so until i get a couple more thousand dollars.
thanks guys i really appreciate it
Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tom, For a practical engine that will deliver a lot of torque and smooth idling and clean running, A 383 is the way to go. A nice engine can be had for about 2500 or so, and that is with good quality parts. A High nodular steel crank, preped 5.7 Chevy rods, Hperutectic pistons,(speedPro/TRW or Silvolite claimer series. use a cast speed pro ring set, clevite P series bearings use a cam in the 224 at .050 (the 12-242-2) with the lift in the 480 to 500 range, SR torquer heads or equivelent in the 170 to 180cc intake range, RPM intake and a Quadrajet or 750 cfm car w/ vac sec.(0-3310 or 0-80508w/elect choke)or the 0-9188, which is the original 3310 that was out nd used on the Z-28 and SS 396 cars in the 67, 68 years.Still vacuem, but has metering blocks on both ends. This combination w/ flat tops and 76cc on the healds will have 9.2 to com. run w/stock converter(1800 to 2000 is better) even a GM3 inexpensive through dealers is a great converter that not many know about.And will idle smooth w/ a slight muscle car sound and be reasonable as gas consumption goes. You will love the torque of this engine. It can make 400 to 430 hp and 450ft lbs torque. A tire smoker. My opinion and experience w/ these Galen

------------------
S/B Chevy Lover
67 Camaro street car
10:50's @ 128 on motor w/383 cid
79 Z28 w/383 9.1:1 3.73:1 Restoring stock apearance
13:40's @ 101 stock exh.& intake& Qjet
smog legal
Camaro Lover

·
Registered
65 Posts
Carl, the 391 is a basicly a stroked 383. The 3.750 crank is offset ground to 3.832" and will have a 2" pin(327 rod size) The piston tops are then cut about .024" depending on deck. That is what you get then 391" at .030 and .397" at .060 That is also how you get a 415 out of a 400. That crank is also taken to 3.832 from the 3.750. Same deal on pistons and rods. They both work good. Galen

------------------
S/B Chevy Lover
67 Camaro street car
10:50's @ 128 on motor w/383 cid
79 Z28 w/383 9.1:1 3.73:1 Restoring stock apearance
13:40's @ 101 stock exh.& intake& Qjet
smog legal
Camaro Lover

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey Tom Z. dont use the hypereutectic pistons if you think you're gonna spray nitrous, at least thats what I've heard. please correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong.

------------------
Black 82 Z28 t-top, 350 w/ TH350

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love my 383. I went with the Edlebrock RPM set up. But, you can go with iron heads just as easy and won't cost as much. Also jegs or summit sells an edlebroc 750 carb for $125 that I have experienced as very dependable (not a lot of adjusting). The 383 has great torque right out of the hole. Launches my Camaro just great.

Tony

------------------
obnoxious 67 camaro under construction. TH350/383 stroker w/ aluminum Eldlebroc RPM heads,cam, and carb.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OBNXUS67 how much did your 383 cost to build? i know that i can't afford the edelbrock package, but how muh did the rest of the engine cost? was the cost of just the parts or did you pay to have it put together?

·
Registered
73 Posts
hey tom,
check out mortec.com for sale section.. you can find 400 cranks, balancers, and flex plates for really cheap... and most anything else you want too.. check it out man, good luck

Tim

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Tom,
Galen and CarlC are right on with the bigger engines if you can swing it.

A .030"/.040" and possibly .060" over 400 block, 400 scat crank offset ground to two inch jounals will make a 415"/418" or 422" engine.

Add 9.5 to 1 pistons, a set of your choice of good heads, a Comp Cams EX274 cam, a vacuum 750 cfm carb, be it Holley or Q-Jet on an Edelbrock RPM intake or whatever and a set of four tube headers and look out. You will love about 425hp and 480 lb-ft of power in the mid range. pdq67

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i would like to build a 400, but i have a 350 so if i didn't build a 355 i would build a 383. but could someone tell me how much a decent 383 would cost?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts