Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to cut some 1/4" steel and currently all I have is a hack saw. It took me an hour last night to go through one so thought I would ask if anyone has a suggestion on a good portable power unit that will do the trick? I have 8 leaf springs that I am cutting up and the old arm ain't what it used to be. I hit OSH and Sears yesterday but couldn't find anything so I thought I would ask. Always looking for a good excuse to buy a power tool!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mister G

A 4 1/2 grinder with a cut off blade that would do the trick. Please use safety glasses. There is a harbor freight in Newark if you want to go on the cheap, they have packs of cutoff blades and the grinders.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking at spending around a couple hundred bucks. Always nice to have another tool to the collection. Actually my intent was to cut up the old springs I pulled and use the pieces to build lowering blocks. I know there is a cheaper way by purchasing blocks but this way I did it my way.

·
Registered
996 Posts
My new favorite tool is a Dewalt Sawzall..
...but for leaf springs???? (how about a cutting torch or a plasma cutter)
plasma cutter is very cool..

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Plasma cutters are always fun and not to expensive. As for sawzalls, ive used Milwaukee, DeWalt, and Ryobi and had nothing but good to say about all of them.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
i have a sawzall, chop saw and a 4 1/2 angle grinder. you are welcome to use any of them if you would like to pick one up. but if you want to buy one, i recommend buying the 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. i think you will get more use out of it, the chop saw rarely come out. i only use t every once in a while when im lazy to change the cut off blade on my 4 1/2 angel grinder. i only use the sawzall to cut off nails on building materials when im doing construction and the last time happened was about 2 years ago. as far as the 4 1/2 grinder, i think it has more flexiblity.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sears has that twin cutter they introduced a few years ago.I haven't used one but it has counter-rotating carbide blades and is supposed to be able to cut through anything.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
For a couple hundred you could get a Milwaukee porta-band, easily cut your springs and are very nice to have around, I use mine way more than I thought I would. After using one you will scoff at the mention of a hack saw.....:D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
$100 bucks get you a dewalt sawzall.
this would be money well spent, many uses and will last for years,
With the right blade in there you can go from cutting cast iron pipe to quartering a deer and cutting up just about anything you can think of...
exhaust pipes , lumber , rebar ect.
this is a very usefull tool to keep on hand

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for the info. i will probably pick up the 4 1/2 grinder to start and perhaps the sawzall next go a round. I do like the idea of a plasma cutter but not sure i will use it that much. I went to lowes today and they had the dewalt 10 amp unit for $79. I then went to sears, OSH and Home depot and Lowes had the cheaper price. Perhaps a shot at ebay tonight to see what they have. Thanks again Angel for the offer............

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I spent less than $100 at Lowes for a chop saw and metal cutting disc. I've made exhaust systems, etc and love it. I also have an angle grinder and it's great too and has more uses. My sawzall doesn't come out much for car stuff. I would lean towards the angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
You will be money ahead to buy a portable band saw. It will cut the springs with no sweat and you will very rarely use your hack saw again. You can get a cheap portable band saw at Harbor Freaight for under $100, I think I paid $69 for it on sale. I used it for 2 years before it broke. I had no idea how handy they were. I will be buying a Milwaukee to replace it. It's a must have tool from here on out.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
I have a AEG tradesman saw 9 1/4" blade...been reilable for over 12 yrs, done a lot of work...mainly building decks, avairies, new kitchen and stuff
Most of the time it is mounted in a Triton bench.
Swaping the blade to a metal cuttoff it has cut everything from sheets of corrogated iron to 1/4" steel
Just got to make sure it is cleaned out of fillings as soon as finished...air gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts