Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that Ricks 1'st Generation's dashes are better than most others and will bolt in with less hassle than the dashes from other suppliers. Has anyone else had any experience with them? How about Classic Industries dashes? As I live in Southern California, I usually like to deal with them and get my merchandise shipped to me in about a day.

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
172 Posts
My dash is from National Pats Depot. I've been really pleased with it & don't remember it being a huge pain to install. Sorry, can't comment on the others.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The parts houses sell a few manufacturers. I just put in an OER (Original Replacement Equipment) brand in my 69 and it fit like a charm. The only problem was that is was probably 100+ in the garage and 98% humidity. I must have sweat off 10 pounds!

I tried one last year from another manufacturer and it was way off. It was nearly 2 inches short in length and the studs didn't line up correctly. Sorry, I can't remember the name of that one.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Does the front edge of the OER dash fit nice and flush with the upper dash panel all the way across? Hardly see any these days that aren't wavy with lots of ripples and gaps. I'll probably replace mine this winter, looking for the best quality, not concerned about the price.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Not concerned about price, send your original to just dashes. Hope I could say that.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole http://home.coqui.net/borench

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silver69 - where did you get the one that fit well from?

Kyle

·
Registered
161 Posts
I sell OER brand Dash pads and I have not yet had a complaint!! They fit as good as you can expect for a repro. You have to remember that repro does the best it can to replicate GM but it will never be GM. The OER product overall is great and without it we would all spend SEVERAL thousands more to restore GM parts and possibly look forever to find certain parts. Let me know if you are interested in an OER pad, I am an autorized dealer for Classic IND. and I can save ya a few bucks. We are in California as well and I can have it drop shipped right to ya!

Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
I hated the OEM GM 68 dash pad and returned it after looking at it for about two minutes. It didn't even come with the mounting flange that is above the heater controls and glove box. If you buy one you can count on having extra screws when your done because the repro doesn't include all the same mounting points. Besides the fact it just felt like a piece of rubber. The thing was like gumby. It had no backing whatsoever. I ended up buying a perfect used one. What a difference. I honestly don't even think they tried to copy a GM one after seeing a mint used one compared to a OER GM one. Terrible

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Just Dashes won't work on 1st gen Camaro dashes, I asked them last year.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

·
Registered
134 Posts
I usually have good luck with OER. I purchase most of my goodies from Classic Industries in CA. They have a great catalog by the way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How about the Year One dash pads? They cost a good $50 over the OER repros, has anyone tried them? Are they worth the money?

Everything from Year One is expensive!

Kyle

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just Dashes can do '67 and '68 dash pads. Do a search on this topic with Just Dashes as the search term.

I tried the OER one and was very dissapointed.

I will be sending mine to Just Dashes. They quoted me a price of $330 to do the work but they use your original dash.

Kel

------------------
My '68 SS396

North Texas Camaro Club

It never ends...It just keeps on getting better!!

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
What's unique about 69? It would be great if they did that year, too.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's

·
Registered
235 Posts
JohnZ - Fit is very good and flat. It is more pliable than an original.

Quikchevy - Where were you before I parted with my $229.00 LOL

The 1969 dash pad changed to a fiberglass backing. Over the years, the pad will curl up and separate from the backing. That is what frustrated me so much with my original pad. It is perfect, except for the pad separation. There are no rips, etc. to the pad. I was tired of having my nice interior look like crap when the first thing someone notices is the dash pad. So I bought one.

Just Dashes does not do the 1969 pad (last time I checked), to all of everyone's disappointment who would use them.

[This message has been edited by Silver69 (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Dash pads from Year One are the OER pads. Yes they sell the OER stuff as well. And they are probably OER pads at Rick's as well. Remember Year One will match ANYBODY'S PRICE on any item with no questions asked.

I have used Just Dashes several times and have been extremely happy with every piece of work they have done for me. Although I cannot say the same for the OER stuff. I have never been satisfied with anything from OER. In fact from now on when I order something from either Classic or whoever, I ask if the part in question is by OER. If it is I pass on it. I will look for a NOS part or a good used part before I put OER parts in my car. Hope that does not offend anybody, just my own opinion and you know how that goes.

Bob R

------------------
1973 Z28 Original owner
1971 RS Z28 in Restoration

·
Registered
460 Posts
Bob, Finally someone who feels the same as I do. Another very bad product is the 68-69 RS hose kit. Its bead enough you pay $70 for about 14 feet of vaccum hose but you would think they could at least use stuff comparable to a parts store. It has been three months since installing the kit in my car that sits in a garage, put about a thousand miles on it since then, and used the headlights about 7 times. Two nights ago my headlights wouldn't work (in a thundershower no less) so I pull over and pop the hood. In THREE places the vacuum hoses split and the hoses were just sitting there. I honestly can't believe that they even make hose that bad. Looks like I will spend about $10 at the parts store for good hose that will last. So much for the proper hose markings. I am sorry and this may not be the thread for this but there is no way anyone can tell me the repro companies try at all to sell you a good product. They go out of their way to make it as cheaply as possible then charge you like its NOS. They are somewhat improving but their advertising doesn't help. If the product sucks then say so and let me decide if I want to use it anyway. Don't tell me it is perfect in every detail and exactly like the original and fits as good as the original when it is not even close. Sorry everyone I had to vent

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
68SS396,

I agree that there should be no misrepresentation of a product's qualities and performance.

Why not return the defective product and demand a refund? Then report the results you had on this thread. If enough of us take that route, some discipline may result and force product improvements. I'm hoping that this is one of the reasons we are all participating in this forum.

I returned a product today that was incorrectly supplied for the second time. I am demanding that the supplier refund my return mailing costs. If they refuse - sayonara.

If as a group the suppliers do not remain or become customer sensitive, they will hurt their industry and business as a whole. Personally, I don't think the parts dealers intend that or want that and I think, in certain cases, they are being supplied inferior products by certain manufacturers. The dealers need to know which products are not performing so they can negotiate effectively with the manufacturers.

Just my thoughts

1 - 20 of 24 Posts