Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a set of four new tires for my 1969 Z/28. The car has the stock 15x7 rally wheels and it only travels a few hundred miles each year. I'm drawn towards the reproduction Goodyear E70/15 Speedway Wide Tread tires and the reproduction Goodyear F70/15 Polyglas tires that are available from Kelsey Tire.

I'm well aware that both those options will make the car's ride quality and handling worse than the modern radials I've used in the past. My question is . . . Do the Polyglas tires hold any noticeable advantage over the Speedway Wide Tread tires as far as ride quality and/or handling?

I'm not planning to drive the car aggressively, just wondering how much difference there might be between those two tires under normal driving conditions. Thanks.
-Jeff

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I bet not many ( as helpfull as all are here) have had both. Alot seam to have one set of tires for shows and radials for driving around. Thats what I would like to do aswell. I bet there is not a big enough difference to sway your thoughts go with what you feel looks best.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Cool for a show driver!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
L50s on the back with a set of Gabriel High Jackers pumped up to 120lbs.. Wait.. never mind, I was having a flashback. Carry on

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I'm considering a set of four new tires for my 1969 Z/28. The car has the stock 15x7 rally wheels and it only travels a few hundred miles each year. I'm drawn towards the reproduction Goodyear E70/15 Speedway Wide Tread tires and the reproduction Goodyear F70/15 Polyglas tires that are available from Kelsey Tire.

I'm well aware that both those options will make the car's ride quality and handling worse than the modern radials I've used in the past. My question is . . . Do the Polyglas tires hold any noticeable advantage over the Speedway Wide Tread tires as far as ride quality and/or handling?

I'm not planning to drive the car aggressively, just wondering how much difference there might be between those two tires under normal driving conditions. Thanks.
-Jeff
If you're trying to be correct,Polyglas tires never came standard on a 1969 Z/28,the Speedway Wide Tread tires is the correct application for that car.

I have a set of F-70 Polyglas tires I run on my stock wheels for my '70 Z/28 and they are a pretty cushy riding tire but they do like to find grooves in the road and wander but all things considered,they do offer the period-look...:yes:

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for posting those photos, John. I know that the Speedway Wide Tread tires are technically correct for a 1969 Z/28 (along with the Firestone Sport Car 200), but to my eyes, the Polyglas tires are close enough.

The photos of your '70 have got me wondering if I could shoehorn a set of F60-15 Polyglas tires underneath my '69. I'm currently running P245-60x15 radials at all four corners, and there's no rub because the coil springs and the leaf springs are fairly new. (Car sits pretty high.) However, it seems like the square edges on the F60-15 Polyglas tires might rub on the front wheelwells and/or the subframe.

The best choice for me is probably the F70-15 Polyglas tires, but I'd be curious to hear results if anybody has stuffed the F60-15 Polyglas tires onto 15x7 rally wheels on a '69.

Thanks for all the good advice. And John, that is one beautiful Camaro you've got.
-Jeff

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Thanks for posting those photos, John. I know that the Speedway Wide Tread tires are technically correct for a 1969 Z/28 (along with the Firestone Sport Car 200), but to my eyes, the Polyglas tires are close enough.

The photos of your '70 have got me wondering if I could shoehorn a set of F60-15 Polyglas tires underneath my '69. I'm currently running P245-60x15 radials at all four corners, and there's no rub because the coil springs and the leaf springs are fairly new. (Car sits pretty high.) However, it seems like the square edges on the F60-15 Polyglas tires might rub on the front wheelwells and/or the subframe.

The best choice for me is probably the F70-15 Polyglas tires, but I'd be curious to hear results if anybody has stuffed the F60-15 Polyglas tires onto 15x7 rally wheels on a '69.

Thanks for all the good advice. And John, that is one beautiful Camaro you've got.
-Jeff
Jeff,
They are pretty square but then again,they're also tall so I'm not certain if they would work inside a '69 fenderwell...I could measure them for you if that helps,they are currently off the car.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
"L50s on the back with a set of Gabriel High Jackers pumped up to 120lbs.. Wait.. never mind, I was having a flashback. Carry on "

RIGHT!!

Cheap, off brand E-60 and L-60/14's rule!!

He, He!!

Mine's up on the shelf out in the garage, still mounted on my Fenton slotted 7" and 9" wide mags!

pdq67

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Why would you go to those 'old school' tires, and pay *repro* prices, and NOT use the correct ones?????? If you are going to do that, then put on the Speedways...... and get a second set with decent Radial T/A's for driving (which also look fantastic on the classic cars)....

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the offer to measure your tires, John, but I've already got all the dimensions from the Kelsey Tire website.

I'll go with the Polyglas F70-15 tires just to be safe. I really don't want to get into a situation where rubbing starts to happen.

My car looks largely original on the outside, but it has headers, Flowmaster exhaust, modern battery, Pertronix module, no smog pump, non-original carburetor, etc. If I ever take the time to correct all those details in the future, then I'll need a set of Speedways. In the meanwhile, the Polyglas tires give off the same vintage vibe that I want and they're a little cheaper, so I'll go that route.

Thanks for all the excellent input.
-Jeff

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Thanks for the offer to measure your tires, John, but I've already got all the dimensions from the Kelsey Tire website.

I'll go with the Polyglas F70-15 tires just to be safe. I really don't want to get into a situation where rubbing starts to happen.

My car looks largely original on the outside, but it has headers, Flowmaster exhaust, modern battery, Pertronix module, no smog pump, non-original carburetor, etc. If I ever take the time to correct all those details in the future, then I'll need a set of Speedways. In the meanwhile, the Polyglas tires give off the same vintage vibe that I want and they're a little cheaper, so I'll go that route.

Thanks for all the excellent input.
-Jeff
Makes perfect sense to me Jeff...;)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Why would you go to those 'old school' tires, and pay *repro* prices, and NOT use the correct ones?????? If you are going to do that, then put on the Speedways...... and get a second set with decent Radial T/A's for driving (which also look fantastic on the classic cars)....
X2 on that

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me Jeff...;)
X2.
I have had both, and the F70 polyglass are way more forgiving as to darting and following the ruts in the road, I would never personaly drive on the Wide Tread E70 Repo,s Again. JMO .
The F70,s are $280 cheaper ( for 4 ) as well off the Kelsey Website.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
"I would never personaly drive on the Wide Tread E70 Repo,s Again. JMO ."

I donno about that b/c I had my front OEM D-70 red-lines 's up to 145 mph one night for better than 20 miles back then late to get to my old RR carpool!

200,000 candle power Ray-Dot spot driving lights burning a hole through the night to boot!

pdq67

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
"I would never personaly drive on the Wide Tread E70 Repo,s Again. JMO ."

I donno about that b/c I had my front OEM D-70 red-lines 's up to 145 mph one night for better than 20 miles back then late to get to my old RR carpool!

200,000 candle power Ray-Dot spot driving lights burning a hole through the night to boot!

pdq67
Paul - Yea, But that was with OEM manufactured tires. Try that with the current REPOS., I know I am not that brave, I value my Z28 too much as well as my life.
Besides we were many years younger and fearless back then. LOL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Paul - Yea, But that was with OEM manufactured tires. Try that with the current REPOS., I know I am not that brave, I value my Z28 too much as well as my life.
Besides we were many years younger and fearless back then. LOL.
The repos are as good, if not better than the originals. The DOT standards do not care if they are new tires or reproductions. They must preform!!!

As for the day 2 guys.... L60-15 Polyglas are now being reproduced. L60's and F60-15's---- Big and little deluxe!!!!:hurray:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts