Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hooked up with a buddy of mine today and mounted up his wheels on my car

my 68 has a mid 70s rear under it (it is 1" wider than stock)

the front is stock with discs

front wheels are boss 338 with 235 45/17 with 4.25" back spacing
rears are boss 338 with 275 40/18 5 " back spacing

now I just have to get the money together to get my set

once I get them the front needs to go down a little more

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Nice. I like the results too.
once I get them the front needs to go down a little more
Or the rear has to go up a bit :) Thought you guys had tons of snow this winter in Ohio. Where did it all go?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
I am leaning towards the front going down
it was 60 yesterday and when I left my buddies house it was snowing this winter has been way too long
Yeah it was 56 yesterday here in Hartford - Sunny and calm. This morning 29 overcast blustery and raw. 27 now. Guess spring was only visiting yesterday.

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Bit much on the sidewall on those.

These are 17x8 with 255/45-17's:

Fronts aren't in yet. They'll be delivered tomorrow. Assuming we don't have a foot of snow on the ground I might get some real pictures this weekend. Fronts are 17x7 with 225/40-17's. All BF Goodrich G Forces and American Racing AR105's.

Rears fit properly. Don't know about the fronts yet...

Total was about $1150 at tirerack shipped.

18's in my opinion are too big for these cars.

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Fronts came in last night. 17's

haven't had time to get good pics yet. Will do soon.

that said 17's, in my opinion, look the best. Anything larger looks like a donk. 17 look like a restomod.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Fronts came in last night. 17's

haven't had time to get good pics yet. Will do soon.

that said 17's, in my opinion, look the best. Anything larger looks like a donk. 17 look like a restomod.
So 17's are acceptable to you, but 18's are donks? How wide of a tire are you allowed to run in your little world? How much sidewall is too much or not enough?

I'm sure the OP is thrilled that you were able to provide pics of your new wheels even though he didn't ask for them. Good stuff.:sad:

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
So 17's are acceptable to you, but 18's are donks? How wide of a tire are you allowed to run in your little world? How much sidewall is too much or not enough?

I'm sure the OP is thrilled that you were able to provide pics of your new wheels even though he didn't ask for them. Good stuff.:sad:
The reason I posted the pic was because mine look very similar to his but are a tad smaller. So many people make the mistake of going too large on the diameter and running into rubbing issues (besides my opinion that they look silly when you get too big...).

oh and I go as wide as I can. Mine are 255's and 225's on a stock suspension. I could go a tad wider but not much. He'll run into the same limitations unless he gets drastic.

...but sure, go ahead and look like this:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am still undecided as to what is going on the car

however the front setup is stock with a brand new set of 6308 springs that I just put in the car 3 days prior

even with my 15" centerlines the front is taller than the back

if and when I buy new wheels I will slowly lower is (remove a little coil at a time to get her where she needs to sit.

I do appreciate the pics of your car with the front wheels on it

my brother has a 69 and is dead set against me going with larger wheels on the car but it is my car and my money so every one is entitled to their own opinion
but thanks for the opinion

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Ideally, you want to center you wheel in the wheel well, to limit the risk of rubbing. The further off you are, the narrower tire you will need to run.

These numbers will center the rim:
7" rim = 4.25" BS
8" rim = 4.75" BS
9" rim = 5.25" BS
9.5" rim = 5.5" BS

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
i am still undecided as to what is going on the car

however the front setup is stock with a brand new set of 6308 springs that I just put in the car 3 days prior

even with my 15" centerlines the front is taller than the back

if and when I buy new wheels I will slowly lower is (remove a little coil at a time to get her where she needs to sit.

I do appreciate the pics of your car with the front wheels on it

my brother has a 69 and is dead set against me going with larger wheels on the car but it is my car and my money so every one is entitled to their own opinion
but thanks for the opinion
Something I considered that you might want to as well: maybe 18's in the back and 17's in the front? I've seen pics of 1st gens like that and they looked good.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Something I considered that you might want to as well: maybe 18's in the back and 17's in the front? I've seen pics of 1st gens like that and they looked good.
That's what the first picture was.

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
That's what the first picture was.
Totally missed that. Must be the tall springs.

anyway my fronts are 17x7, 225/45-17 rubber, 4.05" Back space. No rubbing. Test drove it last night and couldn't get it to rub.

as long as you don't rub the inner fender you should be good. If the weather gets better tomorrow I'll take more pics of the front for you. I'll also test the clearance at full turn and let you know. I have less back space and a thinner tire so if I'm close there you'll rub with 235's.

all that aside I saw a 68 with 255's up front that was claimed to not rub last weekend.
On a side note: it drives a LOT better with the 17's and wide rubber than the 14's with 215's on it all around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts