Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need major help! Can anybody tell me if my 85 camaro 2.8 has a governor or something that with keep me from reaching my top speed? My top speed is 105mph. I think that there is something that might be resticting my top speed. If there is a speed governor can anybody tell me how to take it out without haveing to buy anything?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Keep it on and keep living. I think with that engine, 105 might very well be your top speed. On which public highway are you doing your "testing"? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The govenor is installed in the ECM as firmware. You'll have to burn a new chip for your ECM to remove it.

-dnult

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
That's as fast as that car will go with the 2.8L especially if it has a TH700R4 trans!! The TH700 in your car is plumbed up so it will not go into 4th gear at wide open throttle. This will keep the car in third gear when it's matted!! Only Z-28's, T/A's and Corvettes will hit 4th gear at WOT. Ya might get a few more MPH with a 5spd but I doubt it!!

I don't know anything about you or your car, but it's definitely not a great idea to be cruising the highway in a 20 yr old rig (or any other rig) at 100+ MPH!!! (lemme guess, your about 17 yrs old???)

Just my $.02

Paul D.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Greg,
Here in California, we know a lot about "Governor Removal", having just done one!
I believe you have to go through what is called a "recall". :D

In your case however, I believe you are electronically limited to your current top speed. Its not a simple matter of just unplugging something. But I don't know how much more that motor has to offer anyway. Find someone who knows about performance upgrades in your area, because I believe its still a 'trial and error' process.
Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts