Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Grant steering wheel and Horn Button but I am missing the wire that connects them. I assume it needs to be spring loaded to touch the contact in the column but I have looked and cant seem to find what I am looking for. Do any of you guys have an Idea where to get the correct wire to join these parts? Sorry for the stupid question - Just hoped maybe someone could help me. Here are Pics of what I have.

Thanks, Cory C

Attachments

·
Registered
Wylie, TX - Lee
270 Posts
I believe your first picture is the button and no additional spring is required. The existing wiring harness should have a wire that goes up the column through that hole shown in your second picture. That wire would attach to the red tab on the horn button. Then you would need an additional wire that connects to the other horn button tab to one of the three bolts that attach the steering wheel to the column (ground point).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe your first picture is the button and no additional spring is required. The existing wiring harness should have a wire that goes up the column through that hole shown in your second picture. That wire would attach to the red tab on the horn button. Then you would need an additional wire that connects to the other horn button tab to one of the three bolts that attach the steering wheel to the column (ground point).
I need the wire that is suppose to be in that Hole in the 2nd picture but not sure exactly what to buy? I don't think I need a 2nd wire - I believe it grounds threw the Button. My confusion it about the wire that is suppose to be in that Hole. I installed the steering wheel. There is a ring that turns, it rides on a sprigged contact in the column. What I don't know is how to connect that ring to the button? I was hoping someone might know. I may have to disassemble everything to figure this out....

·
16,516 Posts
Correct

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully someone can Post a Picture - cause I am not getting it. I have learned not to doubt you guys! I am sure yall know something I don't - But I am missing something

·
Super Moderator
33,597 Posts
As suggested, OE wire in column goes through steering wheel hole and connects to one of the button contacts - yes will have to clip off OE plug and install a female terminal onto OE wire in column.
The second wire, if not supplied with s/wheel and/or button, you'll have to make one to fit on the remaining horn button spade and place on one of wheel bolts.
Then snap button into place on wheel.
Be sure you have pulled a battery cable before starting this job.
The OE spring after clipping off the terminal, will become a desk ornament.
If no OE wire is present at the top of column, you will have to disconnect battery, and fish for the OE black wire inside column.
You may need to make a fish hook fitting the hole in column helping in finding it.
Use Use a large paper clip, unfold it, bend end of wire, maybe 3/16 long, and bend to a right angle.
On this short leg, make a 1/8 inch square U, and use this new tool to slip into hole and scrape the inside of column for pulling wire through hole. The U leaf will be big enough to fit under the OE plug/tab terminal. Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,128 Posts
You may have to buy an adapter kit to get the wire you are looking for. Check eBay or market place for cheap used adapters or steering wheels.
Product Font Automotive tire Auto part Gas

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may have to buy an adapter kit to get the wire you are looking for. Check eBay or market place for cheap used adapters or steering wheels. View attachment 291434
that might be what I need but I don't know - I am taking it apart tomorrow - I will update. Thanks man
You may have to buy an adapter kit to get the wire you are looking for. Check eBay or market place for cheap used adapters or steering wheels. View attachment 291434
Seems like you are 100% correct Sir! I took it down further and I do need that little piece you circled.

ALSO - There is NO 2nd wire needed. I checked to make sure I was not insane. There is a gold hard wire on the side of the horn button and that is what Goes to ground - you don't need a 2nd wire on this setup. I will post a few pics of what I found. Thanks all for the Input.

Guess I will try this? 3314 GRANT APC STEERING WHEEL INSTALLATION ADAPTER DODGE PLYMOUTH 1970-1987 | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
OP

If you got the right Grant hub kit, it comes with the spring/plastic barrel/wire (with spring inside the white barrel). Depending on what "style" (read Signature Series Grant wheels use a different install method with instructions on the BACK of the included Grant install instructions included with hub. In that case you take apart the white plastic tube (shown in post # 7) and discard the white plastic tube and round end brass part and just use the white plastic cap/wire and the spring. That goes inside the tube hole on the hub. Use some tape to hold that white cap/wire/spring inside the hub while you then put the wheel on.

BTW if you ever lose or FU that spring, a ball point pen spring works perfectly

You will have to make a short jumper wire using a ring and spade terminal to connect to one of the male spade nipples on the horn button. Either one will work but I plug in the short, included wire to center of cap and the short jumper wire to the outer one. The short jumper you make is connected to one of the 3 steering wheel to hub bolts. IMHO the kind of horn button you have is WAY better than the spring under the horn button type on cheaper models.

I have Grant wheels with that kind of button on my 67 and 72 C10. Works great

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Steering wheel

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OP

If you got the right Grant hub kit, it comes with the spring/plastic barrel/wire (with spring inside the white barrel). Depending on what "style" (read Signature Series Grant wheels use a different install method with instructions on the BACK of the included Grant install instructions included with hub. In that case you take apart the white plastic tube (shown in post # 7) and discard the white plastic tube and round end brass part and just use the white plastic cap/wire and the spring. That goes inside the tube hole on the hub. Use some tape to hold that white cap/wire/spring inside the hub while you then put the wheel on.

BTW if you ever lose or FU that spring, a ball point pen spring works perfectly

You will have to make a short jumper wire using a ring and spade terminal to connect to one of the male spade nipples on the horn button. Either one will work but I plug in the short, included wire to center of cap and the short jumper wire to the outer one. The short jumper you make is connected to one of the 3 steering wheel to hub bolts. IMHO the kind of horn button you have is WAY better than the spring under the horn button type on cheaper models.

I have Grant wheels with that kind of button on my 67 and 72 C10. Works great

View attachment 291569
Thank you for the very Informative post - Once I get the new kit in I will figure out which way works. I got most of these parts with the car when I purchased it. I honestly don't know what model/series the wheel is? Sounds like I may need to discard some of the parts as you explained but we will see once the parts come in! I will post when I have this all fixed up - Thanks man.

Cory C

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
these are install instructions....you may or may not use the brass plunger. I did not as the surface it contacts does not move...the underside of that surface moves against the steering column part so just the spring only works.

You may be missing some parts if they just came with car. Likely available separate

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
these are install instructions....you may or may not use the brass plunger. I did not as the surface it contacts does not move...the underside of that surface moves against the steering column part so just the spring only works.

You may be missing some parts if they just came with car. Likely available separate
Mine seems to be the same - The surface dose not move - The underside dose just as you described! Thank you for the Instructions!!!!!!!

PS - I just looked over my pics in post #8 and if you zoom in on the 2nd picture it looks like I DO have that part with the tube off of it. I think once my Kit comes in I will be all set =)!

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Ebay seller sent the wrong Kit. I gota return that and I ordered another off amazon - Hopefully I will get the correct thing this time. Its always one thing after the other =)

Reactions: Worn Out Welder

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Small victory, but a win is a win!

Attachments

Reactions: Worn Out Welder
1 - 14 of 14 Posts