Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy to all. I am your typical middle aged guy who wants to breath life back into a car he has held on to for years. I have a 1989 Iroc Z28 with the 305, 5 speed and T-tops. Of course raising a family and feeding my desire for horsepower ain't always financially possible, the old girl has had to sit in the shop for awhile. I do have a question about the 305. By what I understand, the TPI system was designed for the 305 and was a weak-link when applied to a 350, but I would like to put a 350 into her and get more horses (plus it seems easier to find aftermarket parts for the 350). I am going to rebuild the 305, wrap it in a baggie and store it as a backup. Is it possible to just remove and replace (R&R) the 350 for the 305? I imagine as I progress with the build I will be consulting with some of the more experienced motorheads here on this forum. All advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,895 Posts
Welcome, Shawn, to the Club.
Getting the ole' Girl back on the road.
I had an '85 Z28 with a '80 Corvette 350 engine and PO had transplanted all 305 intake and accessories w/water pump and bracketry in it. Ran fine, good drivability. The ECM learns as the Camaro is driven.

TPI was not a problem for my set-up. As you assemble the intake, replace the EGR valve and the exhaust temp sensor, while you're there, assemble with loose bolts, then tighten everything on the way end. You might want to replace the Torx fasteners for hex head, your call. I find Accel 23 lb injectors worked well.

Be sure to get the same crankshaft flange bolt pattern for directly swapping the flywheel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts