Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What I have hear guys is a 68 camaro. I have a short on the red wire with a fusible link, this is coming from the horn buss to the plug going into the fuse block.This wire is also going to the light switch. I unplugged the wiring harness from the switch, the ground went away. I don't know if it is suppose to read to ground when the light switch is on. This problem started when hooked up console gauges, the ammeter maxed out when you turn the lights on. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Craig

·
Premium Member
19,678 Posts
You have to remember that most light circuits will show a ground on your meter at the voltage source (normally a switch) because it picks up the ground going through the bulb.

Roger

·
Super Moderator
32,611 Posts
Welcome, Craig
Correct year, now on to your problem.
Good answers given. Mine is this; remove the fusible link wire from the buss bar and insert a light bulb - bulb becomes the current limiting device.

Now you can remove/unplug circuits and see what circuit is making the test light shine.
Dome light? Glovebox light? trunk light, if optioned? Headlamp switch turned fully CW turning on the dome light?

·
Registered
922 Posts
What I have hear guys is a 68 camaro. I have a short on the red wire with a fusible link, this is coming from the horn buss to the plug going into the fuse block.This wire is also going to the light switch. I unplugged the wiring harness from the switch, the ground went away. I don't know if it is suppose to read to ground when the light switch is on. This problem started when hooked up console gauges, the ammeter maxed out when you turn the lights on. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Craig
Sounds like you answered your own question. "This problem started when hooked up console gauges, the ammeter maxed out when you turn the lights on". Is it possible you made a wrong wire connection from the wire bundle to the console or reversed a set of wires during the gauge installation?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts