Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's amazing how much 1 phone call can pi$$ someone off. Here's the story...

About 5 years ago, about the time we bought this house, my wife had called some phone number that popped up on the tv about credit education. She answered a bunch of questions and they was supposed to send her some package with some info in it. We never got anything...except we started getting these bills for $400. I would just throw them in the trash. Then one day we get this phone call from this company about collecting the debt. Of course I asked "what debt"? It seems that this credit education BS was a roundabout way of giving you a secured credit card...with an opening balance of $400 to be payed in full up front. I explained we never got anything, never ordered anything, and never signed anything...and my wife did not work and never ordered any kind of credit card. The issue was dropped for a couple of months...then we started getting bills again, along with nasty collection notices and threats and all that kind of stuff. I called them...immediately asked for a supervisor and again explained the situation. I was told it would be taken care of immediately...the account would be closed and the collection notices would stop. And they did...for about 5 years. We got a phone call today from a collection agency, wanting to settle on our debt. My wife argued with them for a while and didn't get anywhere, so I took over. This collection agency wanted to "settle" for $300. I asked how much was spent on the credit card...$0. Zilch. Nada. So I asked "what are you trying to collect"? "We are trying to collect on this past due account". THERE IS AND NEVER WAS ANY )(*^&^$^%$#(*& ACCOUNT!!! She finally says "since there is a discrepency, you need to..." I cut her off...and explained there was no discrepency, there was no account, there was no past due amount...all this was resolved years ago and I am not filling out any form or anything else. Its their screw up (or scam more like) and they can deal with it. She then put me on with this automatic recording that went on to explain how I can get this "discrepency" resolved...I hung up.

I was so pi$$ed that I forgot to get the name of the company filed for collection. I need to go straight to the source and rip someone a new one.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
That would **** me off too. Sad to think that people are being paid good money and still make these kinds of screw ups. I doubt you have anything to worry about though.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Travis, I remember that scam! One of my ex-girlfriends gave some info, then the calls started coming. I finally threatened with calling an attorney and they quit for a while. If you have caller i.d., you can answer the phone "Good afternoon, Dewey-Cheatum and Howe law offices" :D Good luck with the A-holes...

Dano

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Travis,

I understand what you mean about "overdue bills" just poping up out of nowhere,years after they were supposed to be settled.

several years ago, my wife was in an auto accident where someone hit her from behind. She wasn't seriously injured, but was taken to the emergency room via ambulance as a precautionary measure due to neck pain (whiplash). The attorney who handled our case said not to worry about the medical bills as they would take care them from the settlement.

The case was settled about six months later and we didn't hear anything more about it until about 4&1/2 years later, we were turned down for an auto loan due to "overdue delenquent medical bills". WHAT!?!?! This was news to me.....and I was hacked! :mad:

It turned out that the ambulance service who took my wife to the hospital,never bothered to send me (or anyone else)a bill. They just immediately turned the bill over to a collection agency!!! No questions asked!!!

We had the issue resolved with the credit bureau and our credit score was corrected...But it's just frustrating when things like that just seem to come out of nowhere!!! :mad:

- Mark P.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,362 Posts
Last week I got a past due notice from a collection agency for $10.00. Seems they represent Car Craft Magazine and claimed that I didn't pay for a subscription renewal for the year 2007. I'm paid up through 2006. I guess it was a mix up but my wife called them up and gave them he!!. Looks like some of these computer programs that spit this stuff out could be tweaked to do a better job. Oh yeah according to my wife there will be no renewing Car Craft after 2006
That's awhile away so maybe she'll change her mind. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts