Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyones heard the GTO story. The birth of the muscle car. The beginning, the first, the alpha, the omega of "Muscle cars".

I'm not sure I agree. What about the 62 BelAir 409 4-speed?
2 years before the goat.

Anybody hear of the 62 pontiac "swiss cheese" Catalina's?
They're street legal counterparts were strong too.

How about the fuel injected vettes?

There's more of them out there too before 1964.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Goats. Have owned a 66. Would love to have another.
But why is it the "first"?? Just because of the way it was marketed? That's no reason.

Anybody else?

·
Retired
16,044 Posts
I agree stevo, I had a neighbor once that had a 58 chev impala with a large V8 (dont recall the size) but it had fuel injection and sounded so nice.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
And those 50's Hudsons were no slouches either

·
Super Moderator
33,196 Posts
My thoughts are: The GTO did start the Muscle Car Wars. Before then, it was the Impala's with 348's and the 409's starting in 62. Look at Chrysler, 361 & 383 in New Yorker's, with a 4-speed behind it. Also, the 300 Series. Ford was the same until the FE blocks came out.

Click, it was an Impala with a 283 F/I. I've seen one in my lifetime.

Corvette was considered a sports/compact car, so it doesn't apply to Muscle car.

All the cars where full-size cars with big engines, it wasn't until John DeLorean thought of the idea, big V8 in a smaller car, then called intermediate size, aka, Le Mans, then later, received its own model name.

Would love to have a 67 GTO convert, 389 w/Tripower, 4-speed, A/C, P/S, P/B, and other comforts.........

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think the GTO was such a star because it was the first "mid size" car with the big V8 rather than the 409 '62 Impala which was a larger car.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Stevo, I liked this thread enough...I asked my oldest brother about it...He said that larger cars were "cruisers" and the GTO would run circles around the cruisers. I was barely around at that time, otherwise, I would have given you a better line of pucky :D It sounds about right to me though. He said those goats and GTX's and many others were just "rockets w/tires". Must have been a cool time back then ;)

Dano

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mid sized! Compared to what? The titanic. LOL

Those are big cars.

How much bigger could a 62 Impala be VS a 66 GTO?
Anybody know?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
As a comparison, a 58 Biscayne only weighs about

100 pounds more than a 69 Chevelle. :eek:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well, I also own a 66 GTO convertible, and its a fun car too. I did do a little research and reading.
Seems that Pontiac had us on a technicality. They seemed to have started the whole muscle car thing by stuffing a big motor in an "intermediate" sized car for model-specific mass production. And, yeah, they do seem huge compared to the Camaro. The GTO is some 20 inches longer....and most of it is trunk!
But the GTO seems positively 'svelte' comapared to the Grand Prix or Bonneville full sized cars.
And, thanks in no small part to Jim Wangers, they were the first to really roll out the marketing machine to fully promote and exploit this new class of car. Seems like the rest of GM were following the rules by NOT producing a defined muscle car model, as per corporate mandate, but Pontiac got aroung that by making the GTO a LeMans OPTION, at least at first. Thanks to quick thinking by Pete Estes and John DeLorean, they snuck one by the General. There were others, as previously mentioned, who toyed with the idea, but they were not fully-hyped, mass produced, market-defining cars. And they didn't have "the look". Or "the hype". Seems like the GTO was a big success in spite of the corporate brass at GM. The others caught on quick enough, and came out with some fine cars. But GTO will always be widely recognized as the first.
Then....the new "ponycar" is born, and where's the General?...sleeping, as usual.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Sleeping at first, then GM woke up and answered the challenge with the Z/28. :cool:

That is where the 302 Chevy came from. Without the Mustang and SCCA racing to compete in, we never would have had them at all.

-Mark.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Oh, this stuff brings back memories of times I've road and driven in the cars being discussed..

pdq67's stories, stories, stories!!!

Jerry had a '58 348, trip 3 speed Biscayne and Gene had the prettiest '58 Imp four barrel 3-speed! Both cars just kinda went like the wind and floated along b/c of the new four cornered coli spring suspension.

Another Jerry got out of the Marines a couple a years earlier and bought a new '62 or '63 Grand Prix 421 S-D!! Talk about a Luxury Ride!! Sucker was as big as a Flatbed truck!!

I used to run a new '66 Goat Convert, 4-barrel, 4-speed, in the spring of '67 with my car on the RR up in Runnels, Iowa and the guy that owned it used to really get bent out of shape each time I beat him!!

A guy a year older then me in H.S. bought a new '63-1/2 Galaxy 500XL Fastback 427 four speed, posi, side-oiler that wouldn't hardly get out of it's way UNTIL he tuned it up!! THEN LOOK OUT as long as it was in tune!!!

My long gone crippled Buddy had his '58 Vette rag-top with the cammed, 375hp/327 F.I. engine and 4-speed that would go above 160 easy!!

And then there was Dr. Daddy's Son and his new '65 375hp/327 F.I. Vette Coupe that tooled around and that finally ended up going down the ditch at the edge of the highway one night for like a 100 yards!! I went and saw it after they towed it into Ellison's Junkyard and was impressed how the F/G held together so good!! Son and Buddy walked away from that one with hardly a scratch!!

Almost forgot about the little-bitty MOPAR Dealership in town whose owner's son always drove a big MOPAR, too...

Can't forget about the '56 Vic with the Buick, 401 Nailhead in it that ended up wrapped around a telephone pole, but again, the driver walked away from that one too.. He got killed coming back from the famous Moberly, MO "Sicamore Cathouse" a couple a years later in a '62 Ford Galaxy Convert that his Buddy was driving when they hit a big maple in Cairo, MO!! Those big maples still line that stretch of road in Cairo, but now Hwy 63 goes around the little town..

The guy that got killed was the guy that kept an older Convict-Thug from kicking the sh-t outta me one night after I got ta mouthing off as a punk kid!! He stepped between us and said the other guy would have ta go through him to get at me so the fight stopped and I got the h-ll outta Dodge as soon as I could.. His funeral was one of the biggest ever in town b/c he was such a well liked guy!!

Oooh, this does bring back the times way back when!!!

pdq67

1 - 12 of 12 Posts