Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
is it a tough job to change the large fuel guage in dash to a small center fuel guage and put a tach in the place of the large fuel guage?I am buying a tach already and found the center fuel guage on ebay for sale.Do i need anything alse (diodes,resistors,etc.) or just follow a wiring diagram.I have a 69 camaro w/o guage pkg.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Ken -

It's not difficult if you have a hot knife (soldering iron with an X-Acto blade tip), and the instrument panel is out of the car.

I put some pics showing the tach outline on the back of an OE 69 cluster in this thread.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119120&highlight=tach

Search "tach template" and you should find the template too if you want it.

The center fuel gauge/clock opening is pretty easy, as you only need a little lip at the bottom to catch the lower part of the bezel. I think I have the measurements here, and if not I have an original I can measure, but there's not really a template as such because you really just measure down from the top the correct distance, up from the bottom the correct distance, and cut between the lines.

The repro center fuel gauges work fine, but you will need the terminals and resistor off the back of your original fuel gauge. You may have to cut some tape off the factory bundle to be able to move the fuel gauge wiring to the center, but it should reach.

As far as wiring goes, 69 uses a separate harness for the tach, also available repro in the FactoryFit AAW line. The AIM shows you where and what diameter to drill the hole near the fuse block, under RPO U16.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts