Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i turn on my headlights on my 84 camaro, the needles on my guages shoot to the top and stop working and the right turn signal indicator stays on, and the right side of the rpm guage doesnt light up, however when i turn the dimmer switch off and turn off the dash lights the guages function again, what would cause this? i had the entire clucter out hoping to find a break in the circuit panel on the back of the cluster but i found nothing. while driving the other day the guages momentarily worked as did all the guage lights, but then the stopped again, could this be a bad ground wire? what should i look for?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sounds like the ground. On an 84 I would imagime they have a ground wire in the harness that plugs into the cluster. It probably has a ring terminal on the other end that's screwed to something metal under the dash. The fun part is finding the other end. A wiring diagram should show you where. I don't have them, but I have a friend in the auto repair business who lets me use his when I need to.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
4 Posts
I HAD THIS EXACT PROB ON MY CAMARO...i checked circuit board and did'nt see anything, the FIRST time...take cluster out and examine it VERY carefully...remove dash lamp holders one at a time...that's where i found mine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys, but i bought another cluster from the salvage yard, seems the printed circuit sheet on the back of my cluster was falling apart all the copper leads were falling off and shorting out. for $50 it was worth it to me to buy it and end the headache once and for all...

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts