Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the Guldstrand Mod for those that have done it. I am still not 100% sure if I'm doing the G Mod yet, but I'm drilling the holes so I have the option. When I mock up the upper A arm in the G Mod holes, my A arm hits on the mount and won't mount flush. My question is, do the shims installed during alignment take up enough space to prevent it from hitting the mount or do I have to dimple the mount where it curves out? In the pictures you can see it hits where the "X" mark is and I marked where it curves out.

Question 2, what side of the Ridetech A arm shaft faces the mount? Do I have the A arm shaft in the correct position in the picture?

·
10,153 Posts
Fit there varies a lot car to car. Usually you can take a 1/8" shim, trim the length down and just leave it up against the bracket. Your bracket looks worse and I'd heat and flatten below the hole a bit to help it out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Not trying to change the topic, but thought i'd ask since I saw you have the tubular control arms. Do you even need to do the Guldstrand mod when you are using tubuar control arms? Just wondering since I didn't do it with my ridetech control arms....

·
10,153 Posts
Yes, you need it. The Guldstrand mod generates a conservative amount of negative camber gain. The Ridetech arms add caster which is also beneficial. Caster has a bigger influence the sharper you turn the wheels.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
David,
Thanks for your replies. I scoured the net for info on this and only came up with one picture where someone flattened the mount bracket. I was starting to think I had done something wrong. I've done hours of research on this so I don't mess it up, but nobody said they had to do this. Right now I would need about 3/8" of shims on the back bolt to fill the gap. Right now it's only hitting where the "X" is in my picture, so I'm hoping I won't have to dimple it too much.

I'm also using the Tru Turn System with the Strong Arms, would you still recommend the G-mod?

Brian,
There are a few guys over on Pro-Touring.com with a whole lot more experience at suspension work and autocross that are saying to do it. I'm still undecided on whether I'll use it or not. But I decided to do the G-mod to the frame while it's off the car and I have easy access. I'll then have the option to use it or not. But after David's last post I'm closer to deciding to use it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts