Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand, in order to correct geometry you can relocate the upper a-arm with the guldstrand mod or go with a tall spindal like the ATS that is around 1.4" taller than a stock spindal. If a person wanted to get the best track performance and could run a 10"+ tire up font what would be the beter choice? I have GW upper and lower arms GW springs.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,379 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,612 Posts
You have to think about what size wheels you are going to run. If you do the gulstrand mod, you can stay with what you have. If you get the ATS spindle you are limited to what wheels you can run (based on the C5 brakes). A $800 set of spindles can turn into $5000 after wheels and tires pretty quick. I have a set of the spindles and love them.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I believe ATS now make a version of their tall spindles that will fit other than C5 brakes.

There are also tall upper balljoints, those from howe come to mind.

Worth remembering that these or any tall spindle will limit your tire fitment regardless of brakes, the spindles themselves won't fit in a 15 or even 16" wheel

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
you already have your stock spindles- ATS spindles are getting hard to get ahold of.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,612 Posts
Several years ago I test fitted a 17 x 9.5 x 5-3/4"bs Vintage Wheelworks V45 on an ATS spindle with C5 brakes. It fits, barely, so big $ rims are not a necessity.
I agree with you Carl, guess what I was trying to say by the time you buy new wheels, tires and possibly spacers the costs can add up pretty quickly. Anther thing to consider about wheels, if the backspacing isn't their "standard" one, custom backspacing costs drive up the total amount. Didn't those VWW wheels require a spacer?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,379 Posts
I would bet that most folks who do the Guldstrand mod or go to ATS spindles or tall ball joints are also installing larger brakes, which also require larger front wheels. As a result, I'm not sure it's fair to say the entire cost of new wheels and tires is a cost of either the ATS spindles or tall ball joints. And $4,200 for a set of wheels and tires is likely a slight exagerration. You can also spend $5,000 for a suit, but most of us don't.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Costs always add up when there are high-performance changes. We think nothing of dropping $5k in an engine package, but what about spending the same amount on a suspension/brake/wheel package?

I would order a 6" BS rim and adjust with a small spacer. It is much easier to add a spacer than to increase BS.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
There's so many variations. I have a x-tall UBJ and 12" C4 setup currently using 15" ralley's. I think Driverz Inc has a 17" VWW/Nitto package around $1800 (next step!).

·
10,142 Posts
Here's an issue I ran into on the One Lap Camaro. A pretty tall spacer was requred to bumpsteer the car, aprox 15/16" with a heim joint. I think the backspace is 5.5" on an 8" x 18" wheel. Tyler says spacers can be used to move the tie rod end inboard 1/2" or so. I think you could then squeeze in a 8.5" front wheel. Right now, we have a 255 front tire. If you didn't need to address bumpsteer, it would be a lot easier to fit a wide wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Worth remembering that these or any tall spindle will limit your tire fitment regardless of brakes, the spindles themselves won't fit in a 15 or even 16" wheel
Not true. They will fit into a 14" wheel, but no brakes will. SSBC sells a 12" 4 piston caliper for the AFX spindles that fit into the 15x7 factory rally wheels.

you already have your stock spindles- ATS spindles are getting hard to get ahold of.
Also not true. Speedtech took over all our inventory and will be filling orders on a same day basis shortly. They have the staff to fill orders quicker than I could by myself at night.

Tyler

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My question was not ment to start a discussion on how much $$$ you will need to spend in wheels and rubber. I was interested in opinions reguarding the best method to correct geometry, camber, caster. Meaning, do tall spindles do a better job than the guldstrand mod?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
do tall spindles do a better job than the guldstrand mod?
I don't know. To determine "better" you'd have to actually map the camber curve. you'd also need to know "where" your suspension was going to be while cornering, how much steering is into it, and what effect caster is having on the contact patch.
and then there is bump steer, and...

There is an awful lot to it. I'd guess taller balljoints or spindles has the portential to be better, in that the guldstrand mod is limited by what space there is to move the bolt holes, and the templates I used took every millimeter thare was to have.

The g/s mod is something they came up with to beat the rules back in the day. I think it was what they could get away with rather then what they woulda wanted if they could have it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know David has posted a lot of info and camber curve graphs before and after doing the gmod. Has anyone done measurments before and after with ATS spindles?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts