Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have neither but have read enough that I'm gonna visit my muffler man. What do you recommend? My setup is medium cam, 2-4bbl carbs on a crossram manifold, MSD electronic ignition, headers into 2 1/2 exhaust all the way back. Currently have glasspacks so it's very loud. I'd like to reduce the noise a bit while pushing max flow. Thoughts guys???

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Skip, appreciate your reply. What different kind of sound? I'm mid 50s age so the old school dual exhaust brings back memories but it's just a bit too loud. I'm a bit hesitant to go either H or X as I don't want to end up with something like a single exhaust sound and then want to change back. Any description of your sound would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
X pipe will make it quieter and you'll gain a few hp up top.

I have 3" one chamber race mufflers on my 67 Camaro and they aren't as loud as the 3" super 40s I have on my 74 'Cuda, but the camaro has an x-pipe where the cuda doesn't have any balance pipe.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Thanks Skip, appreciate your reply. What different kind of sound? I'm mid 50s age so the old school dual exhaust brings back memories but it's just a bit too loud. I'm a bit hesitant to go either H or X as I don't want to end up with something like a single exhaust sound and then want to change back. Any description of your sound would be much appreciated...
Sure but its a BBC 498 and with the X-pipe it will quiet it down a bit.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
here is a sound clip of mine that was shot from inside the car with one of the new Go Pro Cameras. It was filmed at night so you can't really see much. You'll have to turn up the volume a little bit. Sounds great with a set of external speakers.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,351 Posts
I just installed a Magnaflow Stainless Steel 2.5" Exhaust System with the X-Pipe in my Chevelle. What a difference. It still has a very throaty tone, but it is quieter at idle and normal driving. At Wide Open Throttle, it sounds awesome.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I don't have any data, but it seems an X-Pipe would flow better since it would better equalize the exhaust pulses before it hits the mufflers. The mufflers are where flow is impeded.

FWIW

·
Registered
188 Posts
x only , something about gas not likeing 90 deg bends.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have a x pipe and I wouldnt go back to a h pipe or true duals any day of the year. At idle it is quiet but you can hear your cam. Normal driving its smooth! When you want to put your foot down it just has pure awe power when you hear it singing. All of my friends like it and they wish they could put a x pipe on there cars now. You wont be sorry.

P.S. And Pypes makes a x pipe with cut outs already in there x pipes for the same price as a non cut out I do believe.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Another vote for X-pipe. They make more power over an H-pipe and definitely over nothing at all..
Also note that companies like Burns Stainless don't waste their time with H-pipes..
http://www.burnsstainless.com/Crossovers/crossovers.html

I had an X-pipe on my previous 3" system that sounded like this..

And am making a X-pipe into my new 3.5" system too.

Ages ago, I unhooked the rest of the 3" system from the collectors (therefore removing the X-pipe) and slowed from an 11.49 to an 11.65 in the 1/4. It's true that the car may have needed tuning for open exhaust, but it's also true that the system was doing an extremely good job when connected. I think the X-pipe contributed a lot in that example.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I have not heard my 68 for 20 yrs....If it sounds anything like that I will be satisfied.

If my car can light them up going 20 or so and do a 100 foot burn out, I will ....in my pants.

Wrong side of the road...those little cars going by makes the american muscle look beautiful

Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts