Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting for over 25 years I managed to get this 69 Z28 running, and it sounded healthy. Ran good for a couple days until it just died. Engine would crank but no spark. Testing the wires revealed no power to the MSD box so i figured the box died. Well i decided to ditch the MSD box and go with the ready to run 8360 distributor and blaster 2 coil.... upon removing the MSD box and unraveling what seemed like 3 rolls of electric tape, I discovered the factory harness had multiple splices and random wires going in and out of it. Aside from the MSD box, it had an electric fuel pump and a hidden kill switch installed. The electric fuel pump and kill switch were not used when i bought it but the wiring was still there. My question is do i get an OEM harness and start over or should i just use a wiring diagram and make what i have work? At this point i just want to get it running and I’ll worry about originality later...

here Are a few pics... other questions i have are regarding the purple colored wire going to the starter and fabric braided wires spliced into it. Are these original? Also there was a brownish colored wire that went from the ballast to the negative on the coil then spliced back into the harness, is this correct? Also appeared to have an after market electric W/S washer pump spliced into the factory wiper motor harness... see pics...Like i said the car ran fine before the box died so i assume the wiring is somewhat correct...

63AC3040-C75F-4C1D-89E5-E9A422309357.jpeg
D7FE3C40-0FDD-4F96-9085-FB7CCD9904F4.jpeg
B39A9C92-68B0-4332-A4AD-6C3EA0AF70B4.jpeg

·
Registered
77 Posts
I found the same thing hack jobs on my 68's harnesses. I elected to replaced all the 50 year old harness and the amateurish modifications and start with new harnesses. I am adding any new circuits as needed in their own harness. If I need to connect to any wires in the new harnesses, I have needed tools and bits to rework the Packard connectors. No splices in any harness, so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Similar situation. Old wiring that has been hacked up. I have found at least a dozen wire nuts holding stuff together on mine.
new harness has been ordered. Peace of mind

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just like the guys above, I replaced mine with a new Harness. I got mine from American Autowire. The harness is complete and the instructions are clear. All the stuff under the dash is terminated and they provide everything you need to to terminate the rest of the wires. I think the Painless kit requires you to splice into the existing connectors. It’s a pretty straight forward weekend job. A couple things I would do differently is to pony up for their own crimping tool. I got a cheap one and it would not properly crimp everything. That cost me a few hours on the job. Next, I would route all the wires coming out of the panel under the dash to their basic locations BEFORE I mount the fuse panel to the firewall. Once mounted it became harder to push the wires all into the right places. I’d feed them in and over the column and stuff like that before mounting the panel.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,670 Posts
Replace, no reason to have a potential fire hazard. Either American Autowire original style harness(es) or their Classic update harness.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The new wiring harness will be the best investiment you can make. You don't want to deal with a fire. I just did a complete under dash, engine and headlight harness from Autowire as the old was a mess. Took me the better part of a day.

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
I went AAW "original" entire wire harness . Plug and play. No crimping, no problems. The can also custom make one for you so your new distributor will not have a wire going to the fuse box. Everything else can be original. Call and talk to them to see your options. They can also repair your original, but I personally would go all new. New reduces gremlins and fire potential.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! Will go the AAW route. Seems like they have different harnesses depending on your vehicles options. Idle stop, warning lights, courtesy lights, etc... will have to double check what i got and contact them. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Yes there are quite a few different engine bay and dash light options.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ordered the AAW engine harness modified for HEI and the light harness modified for SI alternator! Also got the rear harness too. Great customer service btw. They had an 8 week back order so I ended up getting it from Classic.
Now to find an internal alternator. On summit i see a Power Master 100a... is this the way to go or are people using something else? Also would running a 140a be over kill? Not planning on running electric fan or stereos or AC... it’s a thirty dollar price difference so not a huge deal. I just don’t know if a 140a would require heavier wiring other than stock

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I run the 100a SI and my Camaro has A/C, rear defroster, PW, RS, full instruments with console (extra lights), deluxe interior (extra lights), etc. and it works really good. Also, improved headlights, but no engine electric fans.

I also replaced all 4 wiring harnesses after 50 years of toil. It's a good thing not to have to worry about.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Another AAW vote, they are great to work with and the product is fantastic.

I had them make a full front (engine) harness, and had them remove the regulator and and add a CS130 alternator plug on the driver side (for accessory fitment in my application). It looks entirely factory, and it fit possibly better than my factory harness. I love that they will make a stock or stock looking harness with custom changes.

Reactions: 130fe

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I found the CS130 not as durable as the SI.
Hasn’t been a problem for me. I heard the same story when I was looking, but I figured they are on countless factory vehicles, and lots of folks have had good luck with them, count me as one of them, for what that’s worth. I also like the look and size better than the SI.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts