Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let you guys know the outcome of our 69 Camaro incident. Hagerty Ins was great to deal with. They totaled the car after 2 inspections and allowed me to re-purchase it. I had a check in hand 2 days after I faxed them the salvaged title. We are in the process of stripping it down and transferring most of the parts to another 69 we were building. I don't have the skills or knowledge to repair what needs to be done to this car, so it will be up for sale once we get what we need off of it. It's going to need somebody that knows how to do some serious sheet metal work. I've installed a spare subframe on it as the original was trashed. The firewall is badly tweaked on the drivers side so the one bottom subframe bolt is not even close to lining up. The other 3 bolts mounted fine. This car has won Best of Show and is 100% rust free. It will have a salvage title though. I checked with DMV and once the car is repaired you can get a restored salvaged title after getting it inspected so the car can be driven on the road again. It would make a great race car. We almost went with that, but I can see now how fast these cars can get away from you. I've been very lucky myself driving them but I know if we built a race car that my son would want to drive it and I'm not ready for that yet. I will keep you guys informed when it will be up for sale in case any of you are interested. Here is the 1st post with some pics. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99965

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,623 Posts
did they base the buy back price on a percentage? how did they figure it? i always wonder about that.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
You always have first option of retaining your vehicle thats been totaled when you have collision ins. on it. Its usally a set % around 20% or what ever the salvage bid is minus your deductable if you are claiming against your own ins. There isn't a deductable if you are a claimant .This is standard procedure with any ins. co. and you usally end up with a salvage title for the car. Sometimes with older cars the title stays clean.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason for the 2 inspections was at 1st they said they were going to repair it. This was based on an independent appraiser they found out here in AZ. Hagerty is in Mi. It was in a local body shop and the guy could barely get to the car. I had the car taken over to my body guy that painted the car originally and he said there was no way the apprasal was correct. They both met at his shop were the car was lifted and the damaged re-evaluated. It was then with the help of my body guy the car was totaled. If they would have repaired the car to the condition it was in, it would have ran over $40K.
I had an agreed value with no deductable ( this is the only way to go). The buy back was 13.75%. I'm not sure if that is standard but thats what mine ended up being.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Do you have any pics of the damage? How did it happen?

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I had a claim with Llyod's of London on two of my race cars that were damaged during transport... they took 7 months to pay me and jerked me around endlessly... they paid ever cent but it felt like my claim was dropped in a black hole !

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Todd,
There's a link to pics and the whole story in Dennis's first post in this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are some pics and story in the link in post #1 at the bottom. I have several other pics of it that can be made available to anyone that is interested. Here's kind of a ugly one.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Wow - sorry bout that - hope your son is feeling better, I can't believe they even considered rebuilding that though.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
HwyJoe I think what your agent was referring too it they can also be an agent for Hagerty. A local agency here in town is also an 'underwriter' or 'sales outlet' for Hagerty too. I dont know if anyone else owns Hagety, could be but sounds like they lived up to their "agreed value" policy.
I hope the folks that DONT have collector insurance with agreed value coverage, on their camaros, go buy it NOW. :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I buy my Haggerty ins.through my regular agent,through Premier Ins.

·
15,370 Posts
HwyJoe I think what your agent was referring too it they can also be an agent for Hagerty. A local agency here in town is also an 'underwriter' or 'sales outlet' for Hagerty too. I dont know if anyone else owns Hagety, could be but sounds like they lived up to their "agreed value" policy.
I hope the folks that DONT have collector insurance with agreed value coverage, on their camaros, go buy it NOW. :)
Hmmm.... OK. The way he made it sound was he wanted me to get in touch with them on my own. I didn't ask if he could do all the legwork at his office or not.
I'll ask him when he's back from vacation. I NEED to get something on the car, even if it is just sitting in the garage for a couple more years. Basic comp or something because homeowners won't cover it should the roof collapse or the garage burn down around it.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes,definitely get some coverage on the car. I have another one that is nothing more than a rolling shell insured thru Hagerty too. As long as it is in a secured garage, they should not have any problem with covering it. The cost is next to nothing if your not driving it. You never know what will happen like you say (fire, theft).

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Just read the original post and hope your son is healing well.
There was a question asked and never answered about seat belt usage.
Where lap and shoulder belts worn?
I have a convertible with no shoulder belts and this is the type of injury I worry most about.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Car was only equipped with lap belts. They were being used. The shoulder belts were never installed after the headliner got put on. That will be a mistake never made again. Actually on the one were building now, we will have the newer style belts like the modern cars have. I can't think of the manufacture off hand but I know there out there.
Son is doing great!! He gets the metal mouth brace taken off next Monday and should be returning to work in a few weeks. Thankyou all for the Get Well wishes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts