Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Anyone here installed hand controls on a 1st-gen? I have a '68 with a TH400 auto, power steering with no tilt and manual drums, a wheelchair and a nice wife that drives it and turns wrenches for me. I'm looking to convert to front power disc.

Just hoping someone here has gone through installation and could give me some pointers.

Thanks, Robert

'68 base coupe, 327/210 2bbl TH400
'99 Silverado

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've got hand controls on mine. It was fairly easy to install. I don't have any pictures though. If you don't have power brakes you're probably not going to be able to stop the car. Mine had four wheel manual drums at first and I could barely slow it down. I added a power booster behind the master and drove it for a couple of years. I added four wheel disk about a month ago, man does it stop now

Send me an email and I'll help if I can,
Stephen

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 700R4
69 SS clone unfinished
72 454 Weekend Racer

[This message has been edited by squarles (edited 11-15-2001).]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lownf4me, Wilwood has some fairly inexpensive conversion kits that bolt directly onto the drum spindle so you don't have to tear down the front suspension to have the stopping power disks. I spent $612.00 for my front set and $419.00 for the rears. Haven't got to the point of actually driven the car yet to see if I can plant my face in the windshield yet... But I'm looking forward to crushing my forehead!

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
402cid BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro

·
Registered
121 Posts
mine used to have hand controls, about 3 owners ago. I don't think it was a professional install. I am still recovering from all the missing and incorrect parts. If I can help with anything, using my car as a reference, I will be pleased to do so. I have power disc up front and drum in the rear. Stops good...locks all four?!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stephen and Cosmic, could you send me your email addresses so I can ask a few questions?

Thanks,
Robert.
[email protected]

------------------

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
Robert,

You'll find e-mail addresses in their profiles. Look at the bar of little icons on the same line as their identities and to the right. The first is for "profile" the next is to send an "e-mail". Both have them public.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doooh, so that's what those are. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you don't want to go for the brake kit you'll need to pick up a set of spindels ,calipers, caliper brackets,tierod arms/ bolts/nuts,rotors,berings/nut/washer/cotterpins/cap,brakehoses. The spindeles are different than the drums.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts