Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is in a wheelchair and is looking for a street rod to build. What he needs is a driver side suicide door that he could load his wheel chair in and out of the car. He is looking for something in the 30's. Has anyone seen or heard of a fiberglass body/company that might have something like this?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I have posted many times about my long gone Crippled Buddy and his cammed, 375hp/327, 4-speed posi-, hand controlled, '58 'Vette ragtop!

Anyway, he ended up putting his FI motor and running gear into an, (I think??), all steel '34 Ford Coupe with the suicide doors when he decided to drop a 354 Chrysler hemi into the 'Vette. (I was by then moved out of town and working on the RR so never got to ride in his '34)..

He used an Orscheln Brake-Lever off a Fork-Truck as a clutch operator with a "Hog" motorcycle throttle grip on the end of the handle to throttle his Rochester FI unit.

He also had a hand operated foot brake-pedal lever that connected to his foot brake!

He would shift for himself by throwing the Brake-Lever up into dead-man but when he was dragging, one of us kids would ride shotgun for him!

He would line up and you had to watch his right hand ever so slightly over center the clutch as he said pull! You shifted FAST!!

Worked great until he decided to shift above 8,000 rpm one night and everything blew out the top and sides of his 'Vette while dragging an L-79, '65 Chevelle!!

I pulled him and his car home that night late using a rope with my Mom's new '65 Chevelle.

Later I talked to my other Buddy that was shifting for him and he said it didn't bother either one of them until the floor carpets laid over both their feet as the clutch and pressure plate came through the top of the bellhousing area of the fiberglass body! They were lucky to still have all their toes AND they both knew it!!

pdq67

1 - 3 of 3 Posts