Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a brake booster on a friend's 68 Camaro. He bought the car last year, it was already converted to disc brakes but the previous owner never installed the new booster and gave it to him when he purchased the car.

I just installed it and it seems to work fine (not on the road yet, but moving around in the garage makes it seem like it works ok.

He noticed the brake pedal was returning a bit slowly. I honestly don't know how fast it should come back and noticed there is a spring hanging from the steering column bracket.

A quick investigation revealed that spring is for non-power braked cars but could I install it anyway ?

Is the booster shot from being tossed around for many years ?

I thought I read somewhere one should never handle a loose power brake booster by the rod that goes to the pedal brake as it could ruin it. Any thruth to this ?

I have no boosted first gen to compare too as of now so I have no idea if a slow returning pedal is "normal".

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Is the Booster Old or new Reproduction? Also there are 2 holes for the brake pedal, Power brakes use the lower of the two, manual uses the upper. Did you change to the lower hole?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I thought I read somewhere one should never handle a loose power brake booster by the rod that goes to the pedal brake as it could ruin it. Any thruth to this ?
I purchased a new Delco GM Moraine Power Booster for my car from Inline Tube and the tag affixed to the rod was written in Big Bold Red letters, Do Not Handle Brake Booster By Rod. So I would say follow the instructions.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I purchased a new Delco GM Moraine Power Booster for my car from Inline Tube and the tag affixed to the rod was written in Big Bold Red letters, Do Not Handle Brake Booster By Rod. So I would say follow the instructions.
That makes sense and is probably where I read this as well, as I bought one of their booster and MC a few years ago for another car. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
When I sent my booster to Steve at Brakeboosters.com to be rebuilt, he gave specific instructions about securing that rod with two opposing zip ties so that it didn't move during shipment. He said there is a component inside the booster that will break if that rod is moved the wrong way. I can't say I remember what that component was though.

Dave

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
My booster is new but has been handled many times when moving it around. How can I tell if the the booster component is damaged inside. Any way to bench test it?

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts