Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried the search, but I must not be using the right words or something.

anyhow.

what do I need to hang my press rods and new pistons.

I have a manual hyd. press and torches for heat the rods.

the old pistons are still on the rods, stock 35k truck 350 rods.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
I have never done my own pressed pin pistons, but usually the old piston is pressed off rod using press and a few piston supports. I have seen them broken too. Putting a new pressed piston requires rod small end to be headed in a special heating cup, then pressed back on . Instead of a heading cup, I have seen rods on a low flame burner all pointed to center of flame, rod ends were heated until blue, then installed quickly. I cringe at this but it appears to be normal. Thats one reason I would rather use floating pins.

·
Registered
827 Posts
take them to a automotive machine shop fast before you mess them up. this is not a job for the home mechanic, you do not i repeat do not have the correct tools to perform this swap. once again do not atempt this yourself.

·
3,564 Posts
Fast,
First of all .... I am not saying this to make some money for your local machine shop !!!!

To repeat what the others have said ... take it to a shop with a Sunnen rod heater and let them do the job correctly. A torch will overheat the rods and they can come loose later. Its hard enough to do it with the correct tools, I cant imagine doing it that way. Cut corners somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I have done this myself on "home" tools. First I made something that I could lay the pistons on flat so I could press the pin out. Second I made a "stop" for the pin to hit so that I didn't push it in too far. I heated the end with a torch then quickly pushed them in place with a bolt I made that fit snug in the pin.

I have seen this done before so I had an idea how it was done. This was also on a junk 305 that I didn't care if I messed anything up. It's your call if you want to do it.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I run full floating because press fit is a joke. A joke that works somehow.

But I can and do do press fit at home with a torch. It's easy after you get the hang of not screwing it up. Yup, blue metal is scary, I stab at brown spit popping temp. Been thinking of trying one with my fry daddy full of oil but I doubt it would get hot enough.

Yeah, do what they are telling you and take it to a machine shop.

Sidenote, the only piston catastrophe I have ever had on an engine I built was in 1990, due to me letting a guy tell me had this new gizmo called a Sunnen rod heater and me saying oh yeah let's do that. He got a nick in the pinbore of a piston (probably operator error), which siezed. And when you have a siezed pin in both the piston and rod, you knock the skirt right off her at BDC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts