Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have a 99 3.8L and every time I fill with gas it is very hard to get it to stay running. Doesn't matter if i fill it all the way up or only half a tank. No codes are set or pending and happens every time. Once I do get it out of the gas station I have no issues its just for the first few start/stall routine. I must say it is a little embarrassing and I never seem to have a scanner handy at the time. I am open to suggestions or if anyone has had this type of problem. I have had the engine replaced an:confused:d it has less then 1k on it. Of course I had a ton of common parts replaced at that time; plugs,wires,fuel filter,air filter,clutch,engine/trans mounts,coolant pump,t-stat,harmonic balancer, oil pump, and much more. did this before motor replacement too. I have 2 off and on codes P1404 EGR pintel stuck closed and HO2S post cat. and yes it acted up before codes were present. I also just swapped out the EGR with a spare and started car with valve off to clear it out. Had no change.
I did fill it up with it running and it did not stall out ran rough till put the cap back on and first time I tried it as soon as I took the gas cap off while it was running it died. so now I put nozzle in start it up and then fill.

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
Seems like the in-tank fuel pump may be on its way out.
The pump should pump with atmospheric pressure, gas cap off, just as well under pressure, gas cap on.
With cap on, tank is being pressurized to prime pump and/or pump fuel to the front of car.
Pressure testing at fuel rail valve should show approx. 44 PSIG.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Could it be junk in the tank being stirred up blocking the inlet to the pump?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
^^^^ Good advice you guys.

I've seen the plastic baffles in the tank break into little pieces and cause that. A quick check is to hit the bottom of the tank with your hand and if they are broken you'll hear it.

The tank collapses and breaks the baffles because the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve fails. Cadillac had a recall on those when I worked there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts