Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I just took my car out for a drive, 89T/A,built engine.

Anyways, I had to go to and from a few places, and i had never had to start the car 6 times in less than 30minits.
On the last couple times, It almost wouldnt start, it would crank real slow and hard.

I know its not the battery, it was reading full on the ammeter doohickey.

Joshua

·
Registered
775 Posts
You may have a charging problem. The engine could be running on the battery only, slowly draining it. This could cause the problem you describe. You should have right at 14 volts across the battery terminals with the engine at 1500 RPM. You can also get your charging system tested for free at Advance Auto Parts.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I's start with the obvious. Besides a charging problem look for fouled spark plugs, vacuum leaks, worn out rotor, cap, clogged fuel filter, etc.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If your running headers than you might want to invest in a good heat shield for the starter. Headers shed a lot more heat than manifolds.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, the heat shield is a good idea, didnt even think of that.
I know its not the electrical system.

Would I have to fabricate the heat shield myself?
Its an EXTREMELY tite fit, its a 3rd gen T/A, so there is almost no room.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Probably not, i think that all those chevy starters are pretty similar. Not sure a moroso heat shield or something similar would probalby work, they are only about 25 bucks. That doesn't sound like your problem, I used to have a starter that would get hot all the time, a heat shield fixed it. Mine either wouldn't start or it would, not inbetween. Sounds like to advanced timing or loose connections/low charge on battery. both easy things to check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts