Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a set of 3890462 head worked at a machine shop new valve gides new stainless valves z28 springs. head are going on 327 in a 1967 camaro . should I have had hardend seats installed ?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
If the engine were to be used for Towing or Marine service such that it is under constant load I would say YES. For Psgr Car Street/Strip service NO. If anything the Hardened Seat Inserts make it almost impossible to achieve the desired Hi-Perf valve cuts and port shape below the Valve.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If the engine were to be used for Towing or Marine service such that it is under constant load I would say YES. For Psgr Car Street/Strip service NO. If anything the Hardened Seat Inserts make it almost impossible to achieve the desired Hi-Perf valve cuts and port shape below the Valve.

When there was lead in gas it helped protect the seats in the head, when they removed the lead the factory induction harden the seats. When you do a valve job you cut through this hardness. This can lead to valve seat recession, in some heads it happens faster then others. As far as putting a seat in and not being able to do a HP valve job thats just false you have to pick the correct seat.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
If you saw what mine looked like before they got rebuilt you'd have them put in. I don't think any of the exhaust valve tips sat at the same height.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts