Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:pout:Hi. Hopefully someone can help me. I am depressed after trying to mount my harmonic balancer onto my ZZ4 350 V8 crate engine. It won't push on enough (even with using the proper installation tool), so the crankshaft pulley does not line up with the water pump pulley now. It is approx. 1/8" out too far from the block. This whole thing started because I wanted the quiet gear drive timing system installed before I tried the engine. I even stripped the install tool trying to do this today. Please help!
Thanks
Todd:(

You can email me at [email protected] too...

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I had a problem with mine on my b/b, using the correct tool, and even tried beating it on (not recommended) Anyway, I ended up pulling it off, and discovered it had galled the crank a little. I filed the little ridge off, and greased up for the re-install, and it went in all the way, no problem.

Moral of the story, If you can't get it on using the tool, something is binding. And a BFH is not the solution.

I have heard that you can place the balancer in boiling water, and it will expand enough to slide on easier. Also heard hot oil, as you can get it hotter, but that would be more dangerous.

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks for the speedy replies!
I just went out in the garage and removed it. I regreased the hole, and the crankshaft end, and tried it again. I am still off by 1/8". The waterpump pulley and the crankshaft pulley do not line up. I saw that the little keyway wedge had a little nick on it from trying, so I gently filed it off. Still flustered and puzzled! Grrrr! It is an expensive engine and I am just worried that the balancer is not on all the way. I read that older post about it being 3 inches from the block to the outer edge of the balancer, and mine is surely 3 1/8" instead. Any other suggestions would be great.
THanks
Todd

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Where did I read that the balancer hub requires a 45 degree camfer so as not to interfere with the drive/driven gears???This may be your 1/8th issue.

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can I simply machine down the harmonic balancer by 1/8" on the engine side of it? Will it effect the balancer at all? I did notice that it already has a 45* camfer on it now. It is a stock 8" balancer that came with the ZZ4 motor.
Thanks... will wait for your replies before I continue to go bald over it... :0)
Todd

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a gear from a gear drive timing set, instead of the standard timing chain gear. It is useable on either side according to the install directions. It is made by Procomp. The crankshaft timing gear may be a little thicker than the stock crank gear, so that may be the issue???

Can I simply machine off the 1/8" from the balancer? Would that be bad?
Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
20 Posts
i've had to machine some off balancers in the past, mostly dirt late model stuff with ATI balancers, should have no problem with doing that. i would check your stock gear against the new gear to see if that is the 1/8 inch problem before i started cutting though.

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was hoping not to have to remove the timing cover again. I just bought the new gaskets. Maybe I can just call the manufacturer of the gear drive set (Procomp) and they can tell me the thickness of it? Thanks for the help/suggestion.
Todd

·
3,669 Posts
It is useable on either side according to the install directions.
Todd,
I have never heard of a bottom gear that can go on in either direction. They all have a large chamfer to clear the radius on the crankshaft and that chamfer has to go in towards the crank.

I know that you dont want to pull the timing cover off, but you really need to do just that. If the bottom gear is on wrong, it can cause major problems. You should not have to machine the damper, nor is it recommended. If you want to be an engine builder, and do things properly, you have to get used to the fact that more often than not, things have to come apart a few times. If you are not willing to pull the cover off and see what really is wrong, then you should be paying someone else to do the job. I know that sounds harsh, but that's the way it is.

Just my opinion,

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill,
I appreciate what you are saying and understand completely. It is an aftermarket gear drive set from Procomp. The crankshaft gear has two dots on one side and one dot on the other for your choice of cam timing. The manufacturer told me you can mount it either way. It is cut squarely and does not have a chamfer built in it for the harmonic balancer.
Thanks
Todd

·
Super Moderator
33,598 Posts
It is cut squarely and does not have a chamfer built in it for the harmonic balancer. Thanks Todd
As BillK suggested, They all have a large chamfer to clear the radius on the crankshaft and that chamfer has to go in towards the crank.

This the reason it sticks out 1/8 inch. You should remove it and have the crank gear chamfered to fit as the OE sprocket.

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I am confident as well that this is the issue. I have done everything else by the book and was soooo puzzled.
I appreciate your help. I am going to call a machine shop locally.

Todd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.