Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Im about to raise the white flag here. I used a decent harmonic balancer puller and snapped the end off of it before it came loose. I tried to heat it a little but not much since I don't to hurt the rubber. So I went and bought a high quality puller today and broke the other end off of it. Engine is a 396/375 if that helps. Any suggestions??? thanks, Kevin

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Im not sure about this motor, it may not have a bolt. but did you remove the bolt from the end of the crank that bolts the balancer to the crank? Its a pretty big bolt so youll need a big socket. Other than that, I dont know why it would be so hard to get off....is it rusted and/or corroded in any way?

Plz do not be insulted by this. Just keeping it simple.

·
Registered
210 Posts
did you break the puller or the balancer? if the engine is out of the car you could try rigging up a slide hammer up some how. ???

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No question is a bad one, but yes, I did take the bolt out. Eveything looks good except it won't come off.:mad: Kevin

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Make sure the bolt is out. You can put it in a bind and tap on threaded shaft for a while , then try to turn half turn, tap again,, etc until something does not break. I did have some luck , unloading a can of R134 on the center then put the puller back on and tried again, little at a time, it came loose.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
is the half moon key out of the crank?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The key is still in the crank. I could try to shrink the shaft with r134 tomorrow. I also can rig up a slide hammer too. Well at least I have a few more ideas to try tomorrow. Thanks, Kevin

·
Super Moderator
32,526 Posts
I find by putting a load onto the puller, good and snug, then take a big hammer and tap/rap/hit the end of the puller center bolt, it will loosen some.

Use it like an impact screwdriver, turn in the direction needed, and hit the end with a hammer, screw comes out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Make sure the three bolts on the puller are tightened the same amount. If the puller is not straight it will be forced to bend. An impact wrench is better than a breaker bar. I recently had to use a 3/4 impact wrench to remove a stubborn balancer. A breaker bar applies pressure slowly, also as another member mentioned tighten the puller then hit the center bolt helps.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I did have some luck , unloading a can of R134 on the center then put the puller back on and tried again, little at a time, it came loose.
You didn't explain the other half of that technique. The large, newly-created ozone hole above you allows the rays of the sun to heat the balancer itself, expanding it. :clonk:

·
3,405 Posts
jus,
Big Block dampers are the worst :( If you have an impact wrench, that usually does the trick. Also the hammer trick everyone else is suggesting works sometimes too. I cant imagine breaking the "end" off the puller though, explain ??? Make sure everything on the puller is lubricated real good, I use ARP moly lube on the threads and the part that hits the end of the crank.

One more stupid question .... can you actually see the end of the crankshaft ? I have had customers that did not remove the washer that goes under the damper bolt, you wil never get the damper off if the washer is still there.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK guys, thanks for all the help...success at last, success at last!!! To answer a couple questions, yes I did have the bolt and the washer out before I started trying to pull. As for how I broke the 2 pullers. On the first one, the large, fine thread screw that you actually put the socket twisted into about 3 threads from the socket. No, I didn't wind up in the floor but it was close! The second puller had a foot on the end that touched the crankshaft, that was exactly like a C clamp...it split into 2 pieces. The third puller worked after I put more heat on the hub than I did the first time,and pulled, hit with a hammer, pulled, hit some more, etc. I kept a close eye on the how hot it was getting so I didnt damage the rubber. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
You didn't explain the other half of that technique. The large, newly-created ozone hole above you allows the rays of the sun to heat the balancer itself, expanding it. :clonk:
I was waiting for that one,, I could have said R12, Freezeone or Blend. We all know better , right?
One of the last billet balancers did this to me, I had lots of trouble, but I got it, before I went back on, I put a buffer on the inside of the balancer and emoried the crank. Applied oil on it , It did come off better next time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts