Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We replaced the balancer on this L92 and now have a wobble. Its noteworthy that the original design had two belts on it, one for the AC, the other for the alt and steering. Now its a single complete serpentine.

Any ideas how much wobble is acceptable?
Any ideas how to eliminate wobble?

Perhaps a bad new balancer?

Maybe pull and re install?

The shop is talking about pulling the crank!!! Uhg!!!

Any input at all appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
32,609 Posts
Acceptable wobble in 0.006" TIR.
Replace balancer.
I wouldn't think engine would have to be pulled as long as room is made for removing/installing tool.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Did they use the proper procedure to install it? Did they use a new stretch bolt?

Some instructions from Ls1howto.com :

Seat your pulley back onto the snout of the crankshaft as best you can by hand. If you purchased a longer crank bolt, start threading this in now and pull the pulley on about a 1/4 or 1/2 an inch and remove the longer bolt. Use your old stock crank pulley bolt to pull the pulley onto the crankshaft until the bolt seems to get impossible to turn. Grab your biggest torque wrench and attempt to torque that bolt down to 240lbft. I have always stopped at 200lbft on my installs and I've never had a problem, so if you can't hit 240 (which I never have), don't worry about it. Now, break the bolt free and remove it.

Take your NEW crank pulley bolt and thread it in all the way by hand. Torque this bolt to 37lbft. Now, we need to stretch the bolt into place. Get your breaker bar and pipe extension, and try to turn the bolt 140degrees past where it is at now, keeping in mind the engine will be trying to turn some and those are degrees you can't count. Again, I always seem to get about 90-100 degrees worth (estimating, knowing what 90 degrees looks like) and leave it as is so don't worry about going crazy here.

Don

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks so much for the tips. The bolt was reinstalled to spec and I used a new one.

I did come across the following interesting add on to a magna charger install.

Check out the process for steps 43-53 on the installation of this Magnacharger. Apparantly, the addition of pulleys requires more tension on the harmonic balancer, so Magnacharger includes a "kit" to drill and tap the harmonic balancer with roll pins to prevent misalignment and wobble. The roll pins rest on the main crank. The new harmonic balancer bolt is then reinstalled over the pins and tightened down.

http://www.magnacharger.com/pdf/manual-Chevrolet_Camaro_LS3_L99.pdf

This must be common if they have to beef up/add stabilization to the harmonic balancer?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts