Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987-90 Chevy small block 350 engine in my '67 Camaro. I'm not sure which one it is, because the engine was in the car when I got it. The engine has a long water pump with 1 groove pulley. The harmonic balancer has a three groove crankshaft pulley.

This is the problem I need help with...

My water pump pulley, power steering pulley, and alternator pulley are not lining up exactly right.

The water pump has a 1 groove pulley, the power steering has a 2 groove pulley, and the crankshaft has a 3 groove pulley.

Can you tell me if there are any compatibility issues I need to know about?

I need to know if there's a difference between the '87-90 model harmonic balancers than the earlier '67-69's.

It has a right side alternator with a '69 upper and lower bracket set. The power steering bracket is a 3 piece with cradle,"S" brace and rear brace.

Has anybody had any experience with this or have any suggestions?

Do I need to change my crankshaft pulley to a two (2) pulley?
Is the later model '87-90 harmonic balancers larger or smaller then the'67-69 small blocks?

Can I put a '69 harmonic balancer size 6 and 3/4 in diameter on this car?

Will that cause any problems?

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Sounds like you've got an a/c ps and crank pulley but non-a/c wp pulley but it shouldn't matter. Which one is off the most? The wp pulley can be shimmed out if the crank and alt are lined up OK. They sell shims for that.

Don't know how it's set up now but one belt goes around crank/wp/alt and one belt just goes on crank/ps.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
You forgot to ask if any of the pulleys are chrome aftermarket replacements which don't line up too well.

Make sure the balancer is fully seated on the crank snout and get yourself the two row water pump pulley. Once you have all the right parts, then you can start shimming.

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts