Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the difference between a '67, '68, '69, and '70, 8" harmonic balancer for a 350 motor? Is there a difference in the way they are degreed? If you have a '70 balancer on a '67 motor, will the timing be right if you have a '70 timing chain cover? What about a '69 cover or a '67 cover with a '70 balancer?
Thanks,
Sean

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I don't know about all small blocks for those years. But I do know that the 67-68 Z28 had a balancer with a different timing mark on them than the 69 Z28's did and they were not interchangeable.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
The timing degree location was changed in 1969. I am going by memory, so it might not be 100% accurate ! I believe they changed by 8°. It is recommended that you do not mix timing covers and Harmonic balancers. If you "find" TDC on your No.1 cylinder with a piston stop, you can verify if your marks are correct for your timing tab.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Didn't GM increase the balancer diameter to 8" in '69?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Fred, I believe that more models of cars did get the larger balancer in '69. As noted there were some models that had the 8" earlier.

'69 was a pivotal year for Chevrolet with the Long water pump, different engine mounts, new accessory brackets with bolt holes in the ends of the heads etc.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Thanks men.
And we all know what happened because of the 'pivot'.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts