Team Camaro Tech banner

has anyone built an engine hoist?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Unreal 
#1 ·
I am going to need to pull my engine in the not to distant future and i don't have a hoist. It seams to me that they are pretty simple setups that could easily be built with some stock and a welder. Has anyone done this?

#5 ·
Autozone sells a hoist that held my 396 with no problem. I bought it for $199.00 which is a lot better than renting for $40 per day. The $199.00 model is made in china, but it's much better than some other "cheapies" out there. It folds neatly into a space about 24" x 36" x 80" high.

#6 ·
Boodlefoof- just curious, Why did you build that "gallows" so tall ?

#8 ·
rmadsen55, thanks for the compliment on the site!

TJS69, in answer to the question, I built it so tall just because the 4x4 beams happened to be that long and I didn't feel like chopping them down.

#10 ·
Yes, Sam's Club has a pretty decent looking one put out by Goodyear. I believe that is a 1 and 1/2 ton comes with at load leveler ... which is nice. It's under 200 bucks ... in the $170-185 range. If you plan on pulling more then one engine in you lifetime, it's worth the investment over renting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.