Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut out my old frame rail on the drivers side. Purchased the 46" replacement rail with the 1 1/2 flanged end to slide into the old rail. The angle on the new rail does not match the old one. It is the angle that gets welded to the shock tower plate. It's about 5/8 difference. Has anyone encountered this problem before?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I cut out my old frame rail on the drivers side. Purchased the 46" replacement rail with the 1 1/2 flanged end to slide into the old rail. The angle on the new rail does not match the old one. It is the angle that gets welded to the shock tower plate. It's about 5/8 difference. Has anyone encountered this problem before?
From memory:
When we replaced both of ours, we had to use all-thread, fender washers and nuts to bolt thru the rear floor pan (angled, reinforced part) thru the frame rail to coax them together. You have to be careful that you've got the frame rail exactly where it should be. It took us several tries to accomplish this as you have to be exactly where the frame rail factory measurement specs require.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had to use the method that Kart described. since i was replacing a bent rail i made a template of a good rail and then made a cut on my new rail, bent it to match the template and welded it back together (of course i measured and checked everything about a million times in between all of this).

It may not be a bad idea to weld a plate over the area that was cut also, this would make sure you didnt have a weak spot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.