Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my 2nd radiator and 3rd Fan Setup.

I just pulled the Dual spal fans w/Aluminum Shroud off and trimmed a set of 2002 Camaro Fans to fit. In Truth I haven't run this setup yet but I have very low expectations.

My current Radiator is a Northern Radiator and I believe its this basic setup Northern Radiator 205141 Muscle Car Radiators - 25-7/8" x 18 1/2" x 3-1/8" NEW | eBay

My Car is a 496 BBC 10.5 to 1 Comp. Total Timing is 36 degrees. Cam is decent but not insane. Only accessories are Power steering and Alternator. My electric fan switch is 175-180 and I have a 180 degree thermostat in there. Water Pump is a Stuart and this is a Carbureted engine with a Turbo 400.

We are getting some real Hot days right now and the current setup is not cutting it in traffic. I am to the point I ALMOST don't care about the cost. I just want something that works - Period!
I know Cold Case is a sponsor and I see they have a 60 day cool guarantee. I spoke with them once a few years back and them seemed nice.

All this to say - What do you guys think? I really dont want to do this again but if I am forced to, I want to buy one last final Radiator that will cool this car properly!

Thanks in Advance, Cory C

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Your problem is that the radiator is a 2 row with 1" tubes. You need a 2 row radiator made with 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" tubes. One made from 1-1/4" tubes will provide 25% more surface area and 1-1/2" tubes will give you 50% more surface area. The radiator you have now has slightly more surface area than a 3 row copper/brass radiator.

Reactions: Arkangel77

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your problem is that the radiator is a 2 row with 1" tubes. You need a 2 row radiator made with 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" tubes. One made from 1-1/4" tubes will provide 25% more surface area and 1-1/2" tubes will give you 50% more surface area. The radiator you have now has slightly more surface area than a 3 row copper/brass radiator.
I was comparing the specks and I notticed that Myself, I notticed the difference in the tube sizes when comparing the coold case to the northern. Looks Like cold case is 1.25" tubes. Who sells one with 1.5" tubes?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Pretty sure if you’re making that much power and the heat associated with it, you need something equivalent of a 4 core copper brass. Another factor to consider is the airflow spec the fans can perform.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Post up some pics of your setup. i agree one inch tubes is a little small.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro 454 LS6, Holley 950, Tremec 5 speed, Currie 9 in
204 Posts
Cory, I feel your frustration! Ever since I installed a Vintage Air system in my 68 with a 454 I can not drive more than 20 minutes without it over heating. Tonight on my way to dinner I had to pull over and let it cool down. The temp gauge hit 240! And I didn't have the A/C on for fear it would get hotter faster. I don't want to hijack your thread, so I'll start my own. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Cory, I feel your frustration! Ever since I installed a Vintage Air system in my 68 with a 454 I can not drive more than 20 minutes without it over heating. Tonight on my way to dinner I had to pull over and let it cool down. The temp gauge hit 240! And I didn't have the A/C on for fear it would get hotter faster. I don't want to hijack your thread, so I'll start my own. Good luck to you.
What setup for cooling do you have? If a 454 with AC back in 1970 wouldn’t overheat, you are missing something or things. Need specifics and pictures.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Join in man, we can maybe both get answers!

I will post pics of the fans in a lil bit.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I started my own thread a minute ago. Maybe two posts will get more replies. Good luck to us both!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My Spal fans are rated at 1336 CFM. And here are some pics of the shroud that was on it till last week. Dual 11" fans. (EDIT Please disregard the earlier FPS comment - was a brain fart on my part)

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a pic of the 2002 camaro fans temporarily set up on the radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
I read so many of these overheating threads, especially this time of year and most of the time they involve electric fans, fancy fan controllers and the shiniest radiator they can find.

Does anyone try the stock setup? Why electric fans and all the hassle that comes along with them? Does any extra HP you might gain by running electric fans over mechanical even worth it on a street car?
I cool over 500HP / 467 cubic inch BBC with a stock style black radiator, stock 17" fan with a fan clutch, and a stock shroud It will run all day in traffic on a 95 degree day with no issues. Had a similar setup in my previous car, all stockish and never had any cooling issues.

I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel, a team of GM engineers already figured this stuff out.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Reactions: Arkangel77

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
I read so many of these overheating threads, especially this time of year and most of the time they involve electric fans, fancy fan controllers and the shiniest radiator they can find.

Does anyone try the stock setup? Why electric fans and all the hassle that comes along with them? Does any extra HP you might gain by running electric fans over mechanical even worth it on a street car?
I cool over 500HP / 467 cubic inch BBC with a stock style black radiator, stock 17" fan with a fan clutch, and a stock shroud It will run all day in traffic on a 95 degree day with no issues. Had a similar setup in my previous car, all stockish and never had any cooling issues.

I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel, a team of GM engineers already figured this stuff out.
Curious if you have air conditioning.…

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Just out of interest (if my math is correct) the two 11" fans pull through 95 sq.in. of surface area each or 190 sq.in of surface area combined. One 17" fan pulls through 227 square inches. I realize that square inches doesn't exactly relate to cfm, but I'm a big believer in the single GM mechanical fans.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts

In my case, the car came with a serpentine belt set up. I wanted to put AC in it. There is not enough room to run a fan clutch and fan blade in there, with the serpentine belt set up.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
We are getting some real Hot days right now and the current setup is not cutting it in traffic.
"Not cutting it in traffic" is a symptom of not enough airflow. Adding a thicker radiator will make the problem worse. It will be like trying to suck air through a brick. What you need is a fan with more power.

My go to fan is from a 1976-79 Cadillac Deville or Seville. It has a diameter of 18 inches and 7 blades with a very aggressive pitch. It works well with a Hayden 2747 heavy duty clutch. If space is tight a Hayden 2947 clutch will give you more room. I have solved overheating problems on several cars with this fan.

I am currently working on a big block swap into a 1956 Chevy and am making sure this Cadillac fan will fit. A great fan makes for a great cooling system.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
576 Posts
That isn't the problem. I have 2 1 inch rows with spal fans and mine stays cool easily on a 105 day.

OP: what pulleys are you using? If they are underdriven then that could pose a plethora of issues.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts