Team Camaro Tech banner
181 - 200 of 249 Posts

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,077 Posts
There are several YouTube tests of the dual 12” Ford/Bosch fans I’m currently using and I recall one guy saying the initial measured startup draw of the two fans was around 70 amps but once running it would drop to about half that. The PWM does a nice job of soft starting them and ramping up the fan speed somewhat gradually.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS 427
16 Posts
Well good luck with those. I looked at specs and was surprise that one only draw .38 amps
Yes, the .38 amps is incorrect. I have been in communication with a Spal tech guy and these amps have a larger motor, thus more amps. I have them wired separately, using 60 amp fuses, which is what Spal recommended. This is from Spal...

The 2800 fan uses our AP90 motor, which is typically 24 – 36 amps at 13V.

Absolutely the 2800 fans will work, but you need to make sure the wiring is sufficient for the 40 amps the fan could draw continuously.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Just an idea, not long ago you had a thread where you bought a cheap rad hose from autozone, did you put an anti-collapse spring in this hose? many today say that quality hoses don't need one, but anything quality is hard to find today, to me it's cheap insurance and I have always used one.
its also mentioned on Flowcoolers site Why Am I Overheating On The Highway?
Perhaps someone should do a poll, Does your car overheat and do you have a spring in lower rad hose?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I have an OER hose on the bottom with the spring in it. The upper hose is from Auto Zone / but its a Continental hose.

New Hoses, ALSO installed the modified radiator.
PS- My Monster fan came in - I am almost done with the install but I ran into a snag and had to order a few things that I could not find locally (ring end crimps for 6G wire / and some aluminum flat bar to use as a spacer). I have taken a few pics and will take more once I am done, I will make a post when finished.

Attachments

Reactions: Willy68

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
OK - Got an Update but I am not done. Still waiting for amazon to send me my #10 Ring lugs for the Wires. The Package is delayed...
What I have done so far is installed and wired the controller probe.
I have all those wires run to the Core support, all those wires are done.
I have Mounted/installed the fan. I used 1/4" x 3/4" aluminum flat bar (which I had to order) to make spacers between the fan and radiator.
Instead of using Nuts like Willy did - I used that aluminum Flat bar.
My NEW water pump was leaking from the gaskets (cause why not)... Had to pull it off and replace with some felt pro gaskets.

Once my Ring Lugs come in I can probably finish the 2-3 foot of wiring and few last connections in about 20 Min. THEN - TEST DRIVE TIME!!!

Here are some pics of my stuff - Not sexy but decent. Of course I nicked the black paint off the frame of the VA Fan, No Idea how I did that.
I cant detect any difference between what I got and what Willy got so NO clue about the Upgrades they were making???
I have over an Inch of clearance between the Back of the fan and the front of the Engine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro 454 LS6, Holley 950, Tremec 5 speed, Currie 9 in
240 Posts
Here are some pics of my stuff - Not sexy but decent. Of course I nicked the black paint off the frame of the VA Fan, No Idea how I did that.
I cant detect any difference between what I got and what Willy got so NO clue about the Upgrades they were making???
I have over an Inch of clearance between the Back of the fan and the front of the Engine.
The difference with your monster fan is they redesigned the mounting bracket. The bars that are on mine bend more in towards the fan. Can't wait to hear how the test drive goes! And when I installed my fan and radiator I discovered my water pump was leaking too! HAHA. One gasket shifted on me.
Automotive tire Font Auto part Computer cooling Rim

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
The difference with your monster fan is they redesigned the mounting bracket. The bars that are on mine bend more in towards the fan. Can't wait to hear how the test drive goes! And when I installed my fan and radiator I discovered my water pump was leaking too! HAHA. One gasket shifted on me. View attachment 295787
I see that Now that you mention it - Not sure how that's an Improvement but it is a change for sure.

I was able to finish the wiring and cleaned a few things up today (the shop! lol). I also helped my Dad with the brakes on his Fury so no time for a test drive today. God willing I will be on the road tomorrow. We are actually getting some cool weather right now but its suppose to get up to 90 tomorrow so that will be a decent test. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
I did take it for a drive today But due to other mechanical issues It was not enough for a solid test. The car got up to temp and the fan came on slowly. As I drove it a little the fan sped up. The temp never got over 180. I have the 160 controller in my car so 180 is exactly what I was hopping for! Once I address this minor issue next week (had to order a Part) I will take it for a full test run and get this sucker UP to temp!!! I will have a final result next week but so far so good.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
SWING AND A MISS .........

Just got back from my Test Drive. I have some weird results. The car got warmer as I drove and while on the interstate It was up to 212 and seemed to be very slowly creeping. When I got off the interstate and started driving around "IN TRAFFIC" it cooled off a little. I parked it and left it running and cooled a bit also, It dropped to 200ish. When I got on the Hwy it started getting warmer again and when I got home and parked it and let it run it cooled again.

I still have not got to the tuner with this HOWEVER - I am thinking maybe I have too much timing in it? I wanted to ask what you guys think? Bin struggling to get it tuned properly. Right Now Base timing is 19 and total is 38-39 (carberator guy told me to set it there). My Current plan is to drop timing a few degrees and drive again - see if that changes anything? SHould I try raising the timing??? I am just kinda lost right now

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
SWING AND A MISS .........

Just got back from my Test Drive. I have some weird results. The car got warmer as I drove and while on the interstate It was up to 212 and seemed to be very slowly creeping. When I got off the interstate and started driving around "IN TRAFFIC" it cooled off a little. I parked it and left it running and cooled a bit also, It dropped to 200ish. When I got on the Hwy it started getting warmer again and when I got home and parked it and let it run it cooled again.

I still have not got to the tuner with this HOWEVER - I am thinking maybe I have too much timing in it? I wanted to ask what you guys think? Bin struggling to get it tuned properly. Right Now Base timing is 19 and total is 38-39 (carberator guy told me to set it there). My Current plan is to drop timing a few degrees and drive again - see if that changes anything? SHould I try raising the timing??? I am just kinda lost right now

Not sure this helps, but I run my 454 at 14 at idle. Running a Holley 950 carb, MSD controller and distributor. And a 180 free flow thermostat.

What type of temp gauge do you have? Mechanical or electric? Where is the temp sender mounted? Where is the controller mounted?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Not sure this helps, but I run my 454 at 14 at idle. Running a Holley 950 carb, MSD controller and distributor. And a 180 free flow thermostat.

What type of temp gauge do you have? Mechanical or electric? Where is the temp sender mounted? Where is the controller mounted?
I had my Timing Lower originally but the Carb Guy said that was a Big NoNo? I just adjusted it to 22 Base and Ima drive it and see if anything changes?

Temp Gauge is Electric and I tested it for accuracy a few months back.
Sending unit is on the opposite side of thermostat from the Fan Controller in the Intake. - SO they are in the same location next to Stat.

If this don't change anything or it gets hotter Ima drop it to 16 and run it again - trying to figure out if the timing is tripping me up or not??

·
Registered
67 Camaro SS/RS L78 M20 Convertible
299 Posts
I had my Timing Lower originally but the Carb Guy said that was a Big NoNo? I just adjusted it to 22 Base and Ima drive it and see if anything changes?

Temp Gauge is Electric and I tested it for accuracy a few months back.
Sending unit is on the opposite side of thermostat from the Fan Controller in the Intake. - SO they are in the same location next to Stat.

If this don't change anything or it gets hotter Ima drop it to 16 and run it again - trying to figure out if the timing is tripping me up or not??
are you using vacuum advance?

idle timing (initial + vac. adv connected to manifold) should result in 24-26° idle timing.

So like 14-16 intial + 10° vac. advance (limit via mech. stop inhibiting the pin to pull further).

then you should aim for 34-36 total timing, all in at around 3000 rpm.

Again, when crusing, vacuum applies and adds +10°, so you cruise with 44-46.

Thats a starting point.. find your way from there

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
are you using vacuum advance?

idle timing (initial + vac. adv connected to manifold) should result in 24-26° idle timing.

So like 14-16 intial + 10° vac. advance (limit via mech. stop inhibiting the pin to pull further).

then you should aim for 34-36 total timing, all in at around 3000 rpm.

Again, when crusing, vacuum applies and adds +10°, so you cruise with 44-46.

Thats a starting point.. find your way from there
Yes Vacuum Advance.

I started around 16 originally. While trying to trouble shoot the Carb and going over the build of the motor was Instructed it needed to be between 18-22 Initial.

Just got back - Never really saw any change with Initial set at 22.
I am going to let it cool then set it to 16. I don't expect I will se any sort of change ...
I am also gona pull a Plug just for Giggles

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Is your fan running at high speed under these conditions of overheating? It should be screaming. Where did you install your temperature sensor for the fan?

Edit: If you are running hot down the highway then the fan is not going to help.

Don

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Is your fan running at high speed under these conditions of overheating? It should be screaming. Where did you install your temperature sensor for the fan?

Edit: If you are running hot down the highway then the fan is not going to help.

Don
Don, Even if the fan won't help on the highway, at that high a temp you should hear the fan trying to cool down the temp, yes? Even if for some reason the fan couldn't cool the motor, the fan should come on faster and louder as the temp goes up.

When my fan is on full it sounds like a turbine. Super loud. So seems like it's not working right?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Yes the fan is for sure going into High speed. You can Here it and it's moving a Lot of air! My the temp sensor for the fan is Installed In the intake by the thermostat.

The car runs cooler in traffic than it dose on the Hwy/interstate. When you tack up the rpms the heat jumps up as well!

Reactions: rp930

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Just out of curiosity what sort of fuel economy do you get? It sounds like it is burning a lot of gas….

Don

181 - 200 of 249 Posts