Team Camaro Tech banner
141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Arkangel77, after going back to your post #12........how about trying your old Spal fans with the new shroud if they fit and seeing if there's any difference before laying down any more cash on another setup?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
SO just a few things. I checked my Plugs and from what I am seeing there it looks a little rich, still going to try and get it on the Dyno next week to confirm.

I also warmed it up to about 210 just driving up and down my street, then pulled it in the drive and lightly sprayed the front of the radiator (not for long).
I learned the temp Gauge dose work for sure - Its not getting heat soaked - the car is just getting that HOT!
Also after a moment or two with the water hose the temp went from 210 to 185. Not sure how scientific that is but sure seems like a FAN air flow problem to me.

Still a few more things to check - Amp clamp reading will be taken tomorrow

Reactions: Worn Out Welder

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 · (Edited)
Arkangel77, after going back to your post #12........how about trying your old Spal fans with the new shroud if they fit and seeing if there's any difference before laying down any more cash on another setup?
I did think of that, They wont fit - the shroud wont fit on the new Radiator - the core is slightly larger than the new one

I am tempted top take these CC fans off and drive it with NO fans just to seer what happens?

EDIT I did get them on after some trimming! see post 154

·
Registered
681 Posts
That was a FAIL - and I am lost as to what to do next? I jacked up the car - ran it and topped it off, then let it cool and topped it again before I drove it

It was 89 degrees outside during this test drive.
I drove hwy and back roads to the interstate. By the time I hit the Interstate it was @ 210.
I drove 6 miles on the interstate and it stayed at 210-212.
When I got off the interstate and drove home threw the City and on the Hwy it was around 215-220.
When I drove a little spirited the Temp Shot up 20 or so degrees and then slowly came back down.
Once I got home I let it Idle while in drive for a few moments to simulate traffic and it went up to 245 rather quickly.
I also checked the temp with fans running and key on vs engine running and there was a 30 degree difference.

Correct me if I am mistaken but it seems like Not only are these fans not close to keeping up butt this 1.25" tube Radiator is no better than the Northern I have with 1" tubes???

I am thinking of buying another temp gauge and compare it to the one in there now?
maybe something like this just to test it? Allstar Performance ALL80096 Allstar Performance Gauges | Summit Racing
But I think that's just wishful thinking at this point?
Your temp gauge has numbers correct?

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
5,483 Posts
If you have a local HVAC supply house see what they have for smoke emitters. There are cheap styles. HVAC guys use them to check for cracked heat exchangers and other air flow reasons. That may give you a visual of the amount of air flow and the path the air is taking when stopped. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,006 Posts
I did think of that, They wont fit - the shroud wont fit on the new Radiator - the core is slightly larger on the new one

I am tempted top take these CC fans off and drive it with NO fans just to seer what happens?
If you can safely get to a road where you can get up to say 45 mph and get home without it boiling over that might be interesting... but remove the shroud and fans intact if you do that. I've been tempted myself but before I do that I have to get out on the road. Maybe tomorrow if I can get the drivers seat installed.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I can drive to the Hwy in like 2 Min max - my street crosses it. Once there I can probably keep it close to 60 mph. Getting back home might trickey once I am off the Hwy. Depends how high it gets on the HWY. If it stays cool on the Hwy - It would be fine when I turn on my street to get to the house

·
Registered
8,480 Posts
Blows my mind how my friend with 500hp and a factory fan set up never overheated. When we drove the car it he requested to rev to 8k and then dump the clutch and let it rip.

I'm in the process of helping another friend who is buried in the so called superior electric fan system.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Where is your sending unit plugged in?
In the Intake - Next to the thermostat.

On A side not - I think I need to advance the timing a few degrees - Talking with Pro systems and still trying to fine tune this setup. Not sure how much that will help but It wont hurt none!

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,006 Posts
I would probably send the CC fan system back to them and either go with the VA monster or another dual Spal setup that fits and has at least 3000 CFM if not more. I’m thinking we need a new thread that’s as much of a database as a running commentary. FWIW, I’ll compile some thoughts and post them. Yours is an interesting dilemma bc you don’t have a serpentine setup, so in theory you could go back to a mechanical fan and factory BBC shroud.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
576 Posts
How did you verify that?
I have a feeling your temp gauge is wrong. It seems to stay consistent at that temperature like it's riding the thermostat temp.

I have a 489 in my 75 camaro. I have never had cooling problems with it other than when I stupidly put "performance" pulleys on it.
I went back to stock and it cleared the heating issue right up. Then I went to a dewitts with spal fans and it still runs exactly 185-195(2nd fan comes on at 195).

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
@68rs76z28 - I had doubts about the gauge originally but I no longer do - It seems to be accurately representing the coolant temp. I have tested the set up a few different ways.

Thank you @slazisme for getting me to think about this again.
I did some tweaking today and got new results. I pulled the cold case fans/shroud off and trimmed my old dual 11" Spal fan Shroud from the previous radiator (2600 CFM setup). It took some gymnastics to get it in there but I have a solid 1/16" - 1/8" of clearance right now... I did my same trip, back roads to Interstate, into town and then drove home on a Hwy. Knocked around on some side streets before I got home (mimicking stop and go). It was only 88 degrees today. However on the way to the interstate the car went to just under 210 and stayed there. Stayed just under 210 on the interstate also. When I got in town and was driving around it actually got better? It was ranging between 203-208. I really don't know but I am assuming this indicated the fans / shroud is the limiting factor here? This result is similar to what the Old setup did. I am very curious what @dhutton Thinks?

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
@68rs76z28 - I had doubts about the gauge originally but I no longer do - It seems to be accurately representing the coolant temp. I have tested the set up a few different ways.

I did some tweaking today and got new results. I pulled the cold case fans/shroud off and trimmed my old dual 11" Spal fan Shroud from the previous radiator (2600 CFM setup). It took some gymnastics to get it in there but I have a solid 1/16" - 1/8" of clearance right now... I did my same trip, back roads to Interstate, into town and then drove home on a Hwy. Knocked around on some side streets before I got home (mimicking stop and go). It was only 88 degrees today. However on the way to the interstate the car went to just under 210 and stayed there. Stayed just under 210 on the interstate also. When I got in town and was driving around it actually got better? It was ranging between 203-208. I really don't know but I am assuming this indicated the fans / shroud is the limiting factor here? This result is similar to what the Old setup did. I am very curious what @dhutton Thinks?
Yes I think your limiting factor is the fans and shroud. Did you measure the current of those coldcase fans?
Don

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 · (Edited)
Yes I think your limiting factor is the fans and shroud. Did you measure the current of those coldcase fans?
Don
I did not - I forgot my Amp Clamp. I can take it home and test them Just so we have that data. I will post those Numbers Tomorrow

PS - Waiting to see how Willie makes out!

EDIT I figured I would just edit this post instead of making a new one. Just got done checking amps on ColdCase fans.
Inrush was 22 amps.
Running was 9 amps.
@dhutton

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
576 Posts

Can you tell us how you tested it?

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
921 Posts
Are you using an inductive clamp?
It must be for DC ….otherwise your only seeing half the wave.
I’m sorry if this has already been verified

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
I did not - I forgot my Amp Clamp. I can take it home and test them Just so we have that data. I will post those Numbers Tomorrow

PS - Waiting to see how Willie makes out!

EDIT I figured I would just edit this post instead of making a new one. Just got done checking amps on ColdCase fans.
Inrush was 22 amps.
Running was 9 amps.
@dhutton
9 amps. Those are toy fans.

Is that for each fan or both? 😬

Don

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
@68rs76z28 I think that I covered this already. I pulled the probe out, Boiled some water, then brought that boiling water to the Engine bay. I inserted the gauge sending unit (probe) and a thermometer in the water - they both read within a few degrees of each other as near as I can tell. My concern was that it was getting heat soaked and just climbing on its own. I verified that was not happening also by getting the car up to temp, then cooling the radiator down with water on the outside - the temp gauge came down which told me its not just getting hot and steady climbing - It will respond to cooler temps when present.

@Worn Out Welder I Used this one and yes it had a DC setting. https://www.amazon.com/Amprobe-AMP-...t=&hvlocphy=9014009&hvtargid=pla-492654808464 We use these at work and they are accurate.

@dhutton That was for One fan. I was actually surprised it pulled that much. I agree thats pitiful. My 11 spal fan's pull twice that each and that Monster fan from VA lol - That thing can pull 65-70 amps! Still waiting on Willy to post his results! I plan to order the MA setup (Probably Tomorrow).

Reactions: Worn Out Welder
141 - 160 of 174 Posts