Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm caught in another dilema now. When I started with the 72 RS camaro I envisioned putting power windows in it & tilt steering, Posi rear, drop it down, add bigger anti-sway bars, make it a nice daily driver with creature comforts. Maybe add some air conditioning.
I like the body style.

But yesterday I picked up the 77 Trans Am.
It's allready got Air, tilt wheel, Power windows, Posi rear, Huge anti-sway bars front & rear, bad-*** stance, sits low. You know this thing was made to carve canyons. Plus, it's got a 6.6 in it. I love the shaker style hood. I like the body style of this car just as much as a 72.
These are F-body's as well. (lots of stuff bolts between the 72 cam. & this 77 T/A)

Now I'm torn. How many 76 thru 78 Trans Am's do you see anymore cherried out? I've seen 1 nice one in the past 6+ years.

Initially this car was going to be a donor for the 72. Why transfer the good parts? And tear up a complete T/A?
I'm going to do a poll on this. Let me know what you would do.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i like both cars, but i like the TA more- especially if it has a 4 speed and 3.42 gears. those cars are just flat out cool- how many other cars in the world can look even reomotely cool with a big honkning flaming bird on the hood and wheel flares?
about the only thing the Camaro has going for it is the fact that you could do more stuff to it and still be able to get it thru you smog check. but, if that TA has t-tops, i'd part it out, since they do nothing but weaken the car and allow water to leak in and rot the floor boards out.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
sell the 72 to georgia69. He has had a bad weekend and it would make his day. Then we have 2 happy TCers in one weekend. :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
I voted below. My vote is for the RS.
Take the posi, Front sway bar (rear if you feel like fabbing, I'd sell BOTH and buy a decent aftermarket setup), tilt, steering box, power stuff and any misc stuff you need (tinted windows except rear, rear upper panel, trunk lid, misc screws etc) and send the T/A on down the road...you didn't buy it as a project, and as car guys we tend to get caught up in the "what ifs" and don't focus on getting what we started done!

Of course I love '72's (and I've owned more than a few 350 powered T/A's).

·
10,164 Posts
Remember, the 77 will require smog test, unless you don't have them "up there".

Otherwise the 77 makes more sense for a driver.
David

·
Registered
574 Posts
My vote is for the TA! How can you beat that shaker scoop on the hood?? Plus I love the front end on the 77! Those are just cool cars!! KEEP THE TA!!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
My vote is for the RS, but that's because I can't stand that Trans Am. I like the 69 to 73 TA, but then don't like them until they get to 4th gen. That late 2nd gen body just looks too dated, especially with honeycomb wheels and flares.

I really like the early, "small" window 2nd gens, especially with the split bumper and round lights. Gotta have the short spoiler, too.

There are TA nuts out there, just like us. If it's in good shape, my vote would be to try to unload the TA to someone that likes them, and put the proceeds in the RS.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Allright, I've made a decision. I'll keep them both.
Instead of doing the frame off on the T/A, I'll dump some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders, flush the fuel tank, change the filters & fluids, put some extra wheels & tires I've got laying around on it, and run the snot out of it while I finish building the 72.
Then, I can afford to tear the T/A down and freshen the whole car, after the 72 is running.
I've been doing some research on these T/A's and they can be had for very cheap. Especially a parts car without a motor & trans. That could be a donor car for both actually. Use the posi, power windows, tilt, & sway bars for the 72 & the body panels for the T/A just incase it gets away from me on one of those power slides. Drifting I think they call it now.

Guess I'll just have to add it to the signiture.
Sorry Georgia69.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts