Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to pulling my intake today and it looks like the builder used Printoseal. I did notice several bolts hardly seemed torqued as it took very little force to loosen them.
The old gaskets look really rough, I was just replacing them to solve an oil leak but I'm glad I got to it before it got worse.
In a post from last April rp930 mentioned how the Printoseal gets brittle with heat
https://www.camaros.net/threads/intake-gasket-set-for-840-heads.480941/#post-1783271619
Check the pics... With all the positive feedback on Printoseal, any thoughts on why this happened?
Azure Eye glass accessory Vision care Eyewear Wood

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Grille Hood Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
I'm not a fan of printoseal. I have had the same results.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yes I was the one that first posted. I don’t know why it happened but never again.
Automotive lighting Grille Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Car Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I haven't opened the package, so I can still return it. I'll just put in the standard ones and check torque once in awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more thing , the heat crossover had restricter plates installed and it took a while before the thermostatic choke would fully open. I wonder if blocking it off entirely would allow the choke to still operate OK.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
One more thing , the heat crossover had restricter plates installed and it took a while before the thermostatic choke would fully open. I wonder if blocking it off entirely would allow the choke to still operate OK.
I wouldn't block them off completely on a driver type vehicle. Mostly race use, definitely block them off.

Reactions: jimsl78

·
3,658 Posts
Interesting that guys are having problems with these. That's all I have used for a long time and as far as I know there has not been an issue. Its hard to tell for sure but in the picture that RP posted it almost looks like the gaskets were installed over a painted surface ? Those gaskets also do not match the ports in the head. Don't know if that would contribute to them moving.

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 460 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
685 Posts
Agree with the gasket over a painted surface. IIRC doesn't the printed side go towards the head or the "heavier" side of the 2 components?

·
3,658 Posts
Agree with the gasket over a painted surface. IIRC doesn't the printed side go towards the head or the "heavier" side of the 2 components?
Big Blocks can only go one way and that ends up with the printed side towards the intake.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Interesting that guys are having problems with these. That's all I have used for a long time and as far as I know there has not been an issue. Its hard to tell for sure but in the picture that RP posted it almost looks like the gaskets were installed over a painted surface ? Those gaskets also do not match the ports in the head. Don't know if that would contribute to them moving.
The gaskets matched the ports when they were new. That’s how much they moved. I agree surface may have had paint but really? The standard non Printoseal Felpros worked fine. They were brittle, I’ll just never use them again. No big deal, lots of options.

This was a factory rectangle port head with a factory rectangle port intake. They were the correct gaskets.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perhaps "Printoseal" installed on perfectly flawless surfaces and checked / re-torqued several times could work very well, if that's the case it should be made clear with instructions included in the package. These are supposedly a premium product. If my engine builder told me to recheck torque, I would have done just that.

·
3,658 Posts
This was a factory rectangle port head with a factory rectangle port intake. They were the correct gaskets.
Do you know what part number they were ? If you compare yours to the 1274's shown in Jims pictures you can see that his is wider in the center divider and fits the overall port better even though it has moved around. Not arguing, just curious.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
FWIW I have used FelPro printo seal intake gaskets on SBC with aluminum heads and aftermarket manifolds for years without issues. Never re-torqued intake bolts multiple times, just checked after a few initial heat cycles, same with header bolts. IMHO either improper install, wrong gasket or poor surface (due to block or head machining) would be the issues OP is having. Printo seal is better than common intake gasket

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Given how several bolts turned too easy when removed, I think the need for checking torque once in awhile (not being done) probably caused this.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Do you know what part number they were ? If you compare yours to the 1274's shown in Jims pictures you can see that his is wider in the center divider and fits the overall port better even though it has moved around. Not arguing, just curious.
Part#1211. Factory 840 heads and a factory 163 intake. Torque was NOT the problem. Been doing this for 50 years. Never had a problem until these. Not arguing with anybody, if you’ve had good luck with them great. Sent pictures to Felpro. No response.

I was burned by them once and just won’t use them again. The cheaper standard Felpro worked fine.

Here is a picture before installation.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 23 Posts