Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've never turned on my hazard lights before so i decided to try it today and they didnt work.
all of my other lights and signals are working. i checked the fuses and the replaced the flasher under the dash, and still nothing. can u guys help and explain how to test if the switch is busted, and also how to replace it if thats the problem.
thanks for any info

·
15,370 Posts
If it's a First Gen. Camaro, the hazard switch is part of the turn signal assembly. The hazard switch slides up and down in a slot in the turn signal assembly with a long, flat leafspring type spring under it. The portion of the switch that slides in and out of the whole assmbly has contacts that make contact with both the left and right turn signal contacts. (or something very close to that) They can get all gummed up and not work properly because the hazard switch hole on the column is open to anything that falls in there.

You should be able to pull the steering wheel, unscrew the screws that hold the turn signal assembly in and flip it over. Get some good contact cleaner (Radio Shack) and either spray all the contacts down or spray the cleaner into a cup and brush it on the contacts to clean them. I would leave them that way as opposed to lubricating them because the lube will attract dirt.

Once you have the assembly out of the column, use a multimeter and trace all the wires down to the connector at the base of the column.
See how far ya get with this....
Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
you need to find where the hazard flasher is hidden- it is seperate from the regular flashers.
isn't it usually the one that plugs into the ufse box? or maybe it's hanging up behind the dash somewheres.

·
Retired
16,004 Posts
That was my thought, the flasher for hazard lights is tucked up behind the ashtray mounted in a C clip to a frame brace there, with "L" shaped plastic connector.
Id replace that before tearing into the column, but that also is your next step if the flasher is good.

·
Retired
16,004 Posts
Joe I gathered he replaced it but after thinking a bit I got the direction derrik was going, he replaced the flasher under the dash but someone might think the unit plugged into the fuse box is 'under the dash' at least we have covered the bases for him this way, rather double up with ideas than have none, guessing its inside the column issue now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry about the confusion guys, yes it was the flasher behind the ashtray area, i havent tried what hwystarjoe said yet, but i will in the next few days. if anyone else might have any other ideas, i would greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
did the lights come on and stay on? if so, that would mean the switch is working, and also probably point to a bad flasher. i've had a few brand new flashers not work, as well. i would maybe take the good flasher for the blinkers and plug it into the socket for the hazard flasher and see if it works then- hell, it's free and only takes a decond..

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
they blink- they are blinkers.
besides, it's easier to type than "future directional intention indicator lamps".

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The hazard flasher is plugged into the fuse block. The one tucked up under the dash connected to a pink and purple wire is for the turn signals. How do I know? I just traced through the schematics and compared them to the wiring harness layed out on the floor. Seems bass ackwards that they would do it this way. By the way, GM made more than a few flubs when they drew the schematic for the 68.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Check the wires at the fuse with a multimeter before you start tearing everything apart. You will know which direction to start looking for the problem. If there is no juice there you should look back toward the switch. If there is look toward the lights. Just a thought. Kevin

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dnult you are the man

thats exactly what the problem was, the hazard is the one in the fuse box. thank you very much

1 - 16 of 16 Posts