21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yes and the other is core support to hood.

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Anyone think if i put the flapper back in the cowl induction hood that it might help slow down the heat in going down into the cowl?
No. My experience is that when moving if not sealed cooler air is sucked into the engine compartment as was intended to go to the intake. I would not seal it with a flap even though I am sealed to the hood.

Reactions: LYK2ROC

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
No. My experience is that when moving if not sealed cooler air is sucked into the engine compartment as was intended to go to the intake. I would not seal it with a flap even though I am sealed to the hood.
Excellent. that will save me a few bucks too! LOL Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Excellent. that will save me a few bucks too! LOL Thanks!
That said I would seal the intake to the cowl hood. Not that expensive.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
There is also a top seal for the radiator to the core support and a bottom seal. These 2 seals make the engine fan draw more efficiently through the radiator and condenser core.

Also, their was a BB lower block off panel between the bottom of the core support and the front lower valence, but I'd only investigate that after the radiator seals.

Oh, and there are supposed to be core support extensions behind the headlights that block off that path for air to slip around the core support and not go through the radiator and condenser. These are hard to come by like the valence block off.

I have a 67 with factory AC, but converted to R134 (somewhat less efficient than R12). I have the upper core support seal and the 2 radiator seals and that made a big difference in the AC's performance with out resorting to the more elaborate GM methods.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,242 Posts
I like the idea of the core support upper gasket, might order one. Also wondered whether it would hurt to close off the gap of the radiator to core support. Way back in 2009 one of our members here suggested this:

You could purchase a radiator seal kit for a 68 -82 Corvette. The pieces are long enough and thick enough and they are made from extremely high density foam. When I was restoring my 69 Vette, I purchased two kits and used the second one on the Camaro. It did help with the cooling after I installed the Vintage Air system.
I also found this to be interesting. Anybody ever try something like this?

Thats what the Penske/Donahue Camaro supposedly had up front to help force air into the radiator core.

Mike

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Got a small issue I believe. I ordered the 2747 Hayden clutch. I have attached the pic. I believe it is entirely way to close to the radiator and it will sit too deep in the fan shroud. It's less than an inch from the rad. I have the 772 fan. I have also attached a pic of the regular fan spacer, and I think that would be closer to what I need as far as length. When I did the BBC conversion in the 90's, I used all the correct BBC mounts and brackets.
20210611_162325.jpg

·
Registered
67 Camaro L78 M20 Convertible
168 Posts
Got a small issue I believe. I ordered the 2747 Hayden clutch. I have attached the pic. I believe it is entirely way to close to the radiator and it will sit too deep in the fan shroud. It's less than an inch from the rad. I have the 772 fan. I have also attached a pic of the regular fan spacer, and I think that would be closer to what I need as far as length. When I did the BBC conversion in the 90's, I used all the correct BBC mounts and brackets. View attachment 277419 View attachment 277419 View attachment 277420
You can use the low profile version instead and gain almost 1 inch.. (correction: 0.6 inch)

More Information for HAYDEN 2947

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Close out panel between header and rad support and can be done lower too although I have not done the lower.

Reactions: 57vette

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Close out panel between header and rad support and can be done lower too although I have not done the lower.
I have the filler panel that goes on top of the radiator support I am adding. I used to run it but it got all scratched up. I think that might help quite a bit as well.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
There is also a top seal for the radiator to the core support and a bottom seal. These 2 seals make the engine fan draw more efficiently through the radiator and condenser core.

Also, their was a BB lower block off panel between the bottom of the core support and the front lower valence, but I'd only investigate that after the radiator seals.

Oh, and there are supposed to be core support extensions behind the headlights that block off that path for air to slip around the core support and not go through the radiator and condenser. These are hard to come by like the valence block off.

I have a 67 with factory AC, but converted to R134 (somewhat less efficient than R12). I have the upper core support seal and the 2 radiator seals and that made a big difference in the AC's performance with out resorting to the more elaborate GM methods.
Do you have a pic of the seals that made the big difference? Actually any of the seals which you are referring to? I am ordering the clutch and the seals from Summit. they have them in stock. Thanks!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Is what you are referring to similar to this below? I have one but it's all scratched up, and hard to get the scratches out. I could maybe flip it over and just go solid. Mine has the bowties and the ball milled, polished look. I tried polishing it, and my Mother's Flitz ball came apart and scratched the heck out of it.

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Is what you are referring to similar to this below? I have one but it's all scratched up, and hard to get the scratches out. I could maybe flip it over and just go solid. Mine has the bowties and the ball milled, polished look. I tried polishing it, and my Mother's Flitz ball came apart and scratched the heck out of it.

View attachment 277561
That is the one. Mine is black anodized With ball milled straight lines. From Undercover Innovations but you can get them from Jeg's and Summit now I think.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts