Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Camaro Experts:

I've got a 327/210 hp 1968 Camaro with the original cylinder heads. The GM number for both heads is 3917293. Both heads have the GM number on them but one has stamped GM 11 E68 and the other has GM 13 E78 stamped on it. I'm guessing the E68 number is the date code which equates to April 6, 1968 and E78 is April 7, 1968. Since the car was manufactured on May 14, 1968 the dates track pretty well. My question, however, is how to tell which is the left head casting and which one is the right head casting. Look forward to hearing the responses. Many thanks. Tommy68

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,762 Posts
No difference, however the threaded hole for temperature sending unit would be plugged on the right side.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
282 Posts
Hi Garth - great input. I've attached a couple of photos of the cylinder heads. Can you advise where the threaded hole for the temperature sending unit would be?
Many thanks. Tommy68
Looks like #2 has a possible plug in hole that sender would go in. Different photo showing exhaust port side of cylinder heads would help.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,762 Posts
Between #1 & #3 ex. port, the plug would be removed on the drivers side for the sending unit.... Photo borrowed from ebay. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Garth - your picture is great. I've also found another photo of one of the cylinder heads after it was repaired. If the location of the plug for temp sending unit is correct on the attached photo, then I believe the cylinder head is GM 13 and would be on the driver's side, as you've noted. Cheers, Tommy68
GM13 Cylinder Head (2).jpg

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,762 Posts
I don't know what GM 13 indicates, but don't think it's related to cylinder head orientation. :)

Both heads are the same. Passenger side is plugged, drivers side gets the sending unit.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
No difference side to side as noted, except passenger side got plug. FWIW - E date is May, not April

1 - 8 of 8 Posts