Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what should be used to seal a set of steel head gaskets on a small block? i've heard everything from "nothing" to gold spray paint to special sealer for it. i would think there has to be something, but what works the best? got a set of really thin head gaskets for the Nova (more compression), and want to install them.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've always just coated both sides with motor oil and installed them. Never had one leak or blow out.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've always used silver spray paint. Something about the metallic properties of the silver paint makes it a good sealer. Spray both sides of the gasket heavily. Put them and the heads on with the paint wet. I've used this on motors up to 13.5:1 and not had a problem.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
What kind of really thin gaskets did you get? Are they metal? If they are I would use the copper spray tac adhesive, it is made for metal gaskets. If they are thin fiber composition I wouldn't use any adhesive on them.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi ( 454 now)
94 HD Dyna Wideglide

·
3,405 Posts
Derrik,
If you bought Fel-Pro's metal shim gaskets, they should have instructions telling you to use the Fel-Pro blue sealer. Spray Hi-Tack works well, as does coppercoat. Make sure the gaskets you have do require a sealer. Some of the newer steel shim gaskets from Fel-Pro and Mr Gasket already have a coat of black sealer on them and anything additional might make them leak. As usual....read the instructions.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have no instructions. i got them out of a NAPA gasket set for a small block that a friend got. they are like .015 thick, just comparing them with my eyeballs to a feeler gauge. he isn't gonna use them because he is trying to get by with a torque monster cam on a 350 with flat top pistons and 305 heads.
they are made by Victor-reinz, but i forget the part #. just steel, with no coating at all. i just wanna throw them in the Nova and see how she runs.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Super Moderator
32,532 Posts
I have always used nothing on my steel shim head gaskets and they are still sealing well.

I do condition the block and heads deck using liteweight oil, lamp oil or WD-40, and a new Norton India stone. I also remove the indexing pins.

Go in a circular motion until there is a flat surface all across. I spray with machinist's bluing to show me the high spots.

Works every time.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

[This message has been edited by Everett#2390 (edited 09-06-2002).]

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Wow, fastinating stuff!!

I've used aluminum spray paint, Copper-Cote spray, Copper-Cote "dauber", Indianhead shellac gasket cement.

Never oil or dry though..

I like the idea of "hand-honing" the high spots off the block!!

I do, however retorque my heads several times after running and cooling it after torquing first in several steps.. Generally takes me a day and a half to two days! And I've never surfaced anything except the old hopped up, .060" over 409, years ago... Works for me.. pdq67

1 - 10 of 10 Posts