Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this true? I was reading an auction on E-bay that said this guy installed a new steel head gasket from felpro and it increased his compression from 8:1 to 9:1.

Just wondering if this is for real? It doesn't sound like it is to me, But I don't know everything about cars and it just sounds crazy to me. But it would be sweet if it is.

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM Package- TH350
<LI>1970 Cadillac Hearse - 472 BB automatic 375hp
<LI>2000 Gmc Sonoma - 5-speed 4.10 rear
[/list]

·
Retired
26,642 Posts
A head gasket can change the compression of an engine. A std 350ci gasket is .041" thick when the head is torqued in place. It has a bore of 4.166". In my 4.030" bore SBC with KB pistons, it was 9.7:1 compression with the std gasket. Because the piston was .020" in the hole I switched to a .020" thick gasket which changed the compression to 10.1:1.

That's only 4 tenths of a point. To raise it one point you would need to loose .050" in gasket thickness. Remember std gaskets are .041" Do the math...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The production steel-shim head gaskets are .018"-.019" thick, but are designed for use only on freshly-machined flat surfaces; most of the composition gaskets are .039"-.040" thick, although Fel-Pro makes a set now specifically to help reduce compression that are .050" thick.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The question was can you raise your compression rario 1 point with a head gasket change. You can't, I was just being rude with the 1/4in comment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rember you can raise compression buy using a thin gasket but not that much the **** side of the thin gasket it blows out easy that is my experince

1 - 6 of 6 Posts