Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
is there any big front head lamps on a 1° gen camaro??
There are head lamps of course, but I wonder about the second big lamps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know... modern cars have 4 head lamps. you turn the powerfull lamps when you are alone on a little road . You have to close those big lamps when an other driver comes in front of you, because it dazzles him! Every car has such lamps.
And I wonder if on old 68 camaro has 2 bulbs per front head light.
so if it has 2 different light power from front.
Sorry it s a lot to say nothing, but i hope it is clear now.

Marc

·
Registered
101 Posts
1st click on switch - sidelights.
2nd click on switch - headlights.
Floor switch - high beam.
Depending on your countrys regulations, side lights might be both directional indicators coming on. Or if like U.K. you will have 2 bulbs in each headlight, 1 small bulb for the sidelights & a bigger hallogen bulb that is for both main & high beam functions.
So depending on where your sidelights are located you will have 2 live wires to the hallogen bulb & 1 live wire to sidelight + 1 live wire to directional indicator. I hope that makes sense.
T.P.Donaghy

------------------
http:community.webshots.com/user/tpd67

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
There is one actual light fixture in the first gen. Camaros, but inside that fixture or bulb are 2 filaments. One is 'low' beam element, then when you need the 'high' beams you push the floor switch and the '2nd' filament turns on, giving you about twice the light from the one fixture. If there are 4 lights on a car today, the 2nd set or the lights closer to center are the 'high' beams'while the outer lights are the standard.
Is that what you were asking? Greetings from cold Minn. Wind chill today is -45 F here.

------------------
69RS Dover White,Blue Vinyl top,spoilers,shoulder belts,
pdb,ps,am/fm,TH350,3.07Diff,A/C,fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
101 Posts
Click. Yes there is only 1 bulb fixture originally in the U.S. but in U.K. & possible other parts of europe that needs to be changed because of different regulations. Thats why he like me might have the second low power "sidelight" bulb also in his headlight, which gives you 3 different light settings out of the headlights.

------------------
http:community.webshots.com/user/tpd67

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes , thanks,
but then, I think my floor swith is worn, because when i push on it, it does not stay in an ON position, it doesn't "clic".
BTW, it is a California car, it's been imported a month ago.
I'll take a look at this floor button.

Marc

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Most of the pictures of European-spec Camaros I have seen have had an additional pair of driving lights mounted in the grill.

Marc, one way to get additional power to the headlights is to convert to a modern power system that wires the headlights directly to the battery and uses relay switches to turn the lights on/off. In many cars there is a significant drop in voltage at the headlight due to the convoluted factory wiring harness. Several aftermarket wiring coompanies sell coversion harnesses. Painless Wiring and MADD are two I can think of.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks,
actually i don't care for the extra light power. I just got the car a month ago, and i have to pass the technical check to register it here. And i think i MUST have high beam front head lamps. So if the camaro have ones originally it is OK. I plan on driving it mostly during sunny summer DAYS.

Marc

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, switch was just dirty and covered with too much carpet. It is working!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts